Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catwoman

LOL   ;)   Patriot, you're nothing if not an entertaining read.   ;D

Diane Amberg

Patriot, what "history of overpayment" would that be? According to whom and how was that decided?
I know nothing about the Elk County budget and who decides how, when and where the money is spent (bids?) but I would assume that is all public record. ...and that's derogatory, but deragatory does make an interesting word....

Patriot

Quote from: Catwoman on July 03, 2011, 10:55:21 AM
LOL   ;)   Patriot, you're nothing if not an entertaining read.   ;D

Thank you.  Enjoy Independence Day!

It has been said that he who laughs last, laughs best.  Please notice that I'm not yet laughing.  Nor is there a weight challenged woman singing center stage... yet   :)
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

readyaimduck

Quotehe who laughs last

....usually doesn't get the punchline.   ;D

Patriot

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 03, 2011, 11:00:48 AM
...and that's derogatory, but deragatory does make an interesting word....

Thank you.  Duly noted and corrected.

Patriot, what "history of overpayment" would that be? According to whom and how was that decided?

I have been told, employees understand that they are precluded (by edict from one commissioner based on an unwritten policy) from purchasing goods (like bulk fuel) from non-local sources unless the savings exceeds 10%.  In this day and age, even 2% savings can be important.

The recent revelation that the courthouse elevator lacked critical safety features and was being maintained under a long term service agreement that was easily outbid by a different company providing increased services for the same, or less, money. 

The use (until recently) of outdated Plexar phone services under a long term contract, when even ATT down plays that service, and when competing technologies/services were available at increased savings.

The entry of the county courthouse into the historical registry under an agreement that necessitated specialized and expensive roofing materials just to preserve historical continuity. 

The ongoing effort to enhance a boiler heating system with a new boiler and perform weatherization utilizing a matching grant that will require the county to borrow tens of thousands of dollars to meet matching requirements.  All when some outside experts have estimated the current system is sufficient & heat distribution problems could be solved by proper insulation of currently uninsulated steam pipes (how did we miss that one?), operation of the system at recommended pressures (some 2 to 10 times higher than currently operated) and the installation of relatively inexpensive valves & thermostats.  The use of said money to caulk windows that have leaked like sieves for some time (where has on staff maintenance been/can't we afford caulk & a caulk gun?).  Things that should have been done way before now.

There's a start.  Can you say, "Short term thinkers, and likely pattern of mismanagement."?

I know nothing about the Elk County budget and who decides how, when and where the money is spent (bids?) but I would assume that is all public record...

I'm concerned not many folks know much more than you do.  Transparency in government?  Accurate records should include clear RFPs, bid awards and well recorded discussion in commission meeting minutes, yes?  Haven't read our commission meeting minutes lately, have you?  Nor do you oft see open bid requests in the legal publication of record.

No wonder we enjoy one of the highest (if not the highest) property tax rates in Kansas.  We've got a lot of bills, loans and interest to pay.  But, I could be wrong. 

Patriot

Quote from: readyaimduck on July 03, 2011, 11:30:32 AM
....usually doesn't get the punchline.   ;D

Or the joke wasn't funny or was in real bad taste.

readyaimduck

QuoteNor do you oft see open bid requests in the legal publication of record.

What is your county's paper of record?  I think it has to be a designated county publication and acknowleged?  I may be off on that part.
If it is a paper that no one really reads, perhaps it is missed?  just a thought.

I totally agree on your aforementioned points, Patriot.

readyaimduck

QuoteOr the joke wasn't funny or was in real bad taste.

and there you have county citizens scratching their heads and saying " ah yes, that was funny???????!"  Now, how am I going to scraped up $1000 for my taxes next year????

No joke inded until the joke is on them.

Ross

Quote from: readyaimduck on July 03, 2011, 12:34:09 PM
What is your county's paper of record?  I think it has to be a designated county publication and acknowleged?  I may be off on that part.
If it is a paper that no one really reads, perhaps it is missed?  just a thought.

I totally agree on your aforementioned points, Patriot.
Yhe Prairie Star amd I read it. I may discontinue it.
The Editor/Owner is affiliated with Elk Konnected and in my humble opinion very biased in his reporting.

Ross

I hope each and evryone of you out there have a safe and sane and Happy 4th of July.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk