Elk Konnected Hand out at County Commissioners meeting on 4/25

Started by Ross, April 26, 2011, 07:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

An excellent article for School Boards
                                                        Teachers
                                                                      Citizens
                                                                                      in my opinion !

We The People have spoke to our school board with an Opposition Petition telling them to bring any tax hike to the voters.
Did they do it ?
NO !

Why not?

Because they do not respect, "We The People" in my opinion !
the other reason is because they know they will be told NO !
Because they are wasteful with our money !

And their reaction was that of a spoiled child, in my opinion !

They came back with another attempt with a second Resolution in the newspaper
attempting to evade, "We The People" !

They failed a second time, but will they learn or continue to behave like spoiled children?

LOCAL CONTROL IS ABOUT CITIZENS,
NOT GOVERNMENT

Dave Trabert July 4, 2016 Education

This 240th anniversary of our nation's independence seems an appropriate day to discuss the meaning of local control as envisioned by the founders.  Cities, counties and local school boards seem to believe local control means that local government is in charge.  But Abraham Lincoln said it best in his Gettysburg Address: ours is a government of the people, by the people and for the people.  Local control is about citizens, not local government.

Olathe school board member LeEtta Felter recently attempted to make a case that the founders intended that state governments should not interfere with local governments.  She did so in rejecting suggestions that Kansans in general and the Legislature in particular have any right to expect a school district to operate efficiently, as though 'local control' is a trump card that allows a school board to do whatever it desires with other people's money.

We'll review the specific efficiency issues 20138063 - illustration of statue of liberty on american flag background for independence dayshortly but first let's examine the relevant sections of the U.S. and Kansas constitutions.  The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution clearly defines what is within the purview of the federal government but says all remaining powers are reserved for the states or the people.  In other words, the U.S. Constitution does not grant any authority to cities, counties and school boards, but to the states and the people.

Now let's look at the Kansas Constitution.  Article 2, Section 21 Delegation of powers of local legislation and administration says, "The legislature may confer powers of local legislation and administration upon political subdivisions."  Simply put, the Kansas Constitution doesn't confer any special authority on cities and counties; even their very existence must be provided by the Legislature.  Article 6, Section 5 does establish local school boards but much of their authority to act comes from the Legislature: "When authorized by law, such boards may make and carry out agreements for cooperative operation and administration of educational programs under the general supervision of the state board of education, but such agreements shall be subject to limitation, change or termination by the legislature."  Much of what a local school board is authorized to do is granted by the Legislature, including the power to tax and charge fees.

Article 6, Section 6 says the Legislature must make suitable provision for finance of the state's educational interests but it does not say that schools must be given extra money to operate inefficiently.  The authority to appropriate is constitutionally vested solely in the Legislature and in the absence of prohibition on taking efficiency into account, the Legislature may do so.  Accordingly, when the Legislature engages in educational matters or issues related to cities and counties, it is not eroding local control but exercising its constitutional authority.  So in a way, those who say local government should be left to do as it wishes are inadvertently advocating against the Kansas Constitution.

Ms. Felter strenuously objected to these suggestions KPI offered to reduce costs and put the savings toward instruction and better teacher pay:

Provide maintenance, transportation, food service, accounting, HR, IT, payroll, personnel, etc. through regional service centers.
Require purchase of commodities, equipment, insurance, technology, curriculum, etc. from a statewide procurement system to give all districts the same price.
Make eligibility for Bond & Interest Aid subject to review by an independent panel to ensure that citizens outside a district are not forced to pay for excess capacity, higher than normal construction costs, building smaller facilities that increase district operating and construction costs over more efficient, somewhat larger facilities, etc.
Outsource functions to the private sector (with the better service, better price approach) to reduce operating and KPERS costs.
Ms. Felter believes these suggestions intrude upon the school board's local control; she contends they should be able to spend more than necessary if they so choose and that citizens across Kansas should be taxed more or funds taken from other government services to accommodate their excess spending.  In essence, she and many others who share her belief want a modern-day version of taxation without representation.  It's one thing to decide how wisely or foolishly to spend money collected from residents within a district, but only a fraction of school aid is raised within a local district.[ii]

Local control is increasingly being used as a convenient shield by special interests in contradiction of the U.S. and Kansas constitutions.  The Kansas National Education Association (KNEA teacher union) espouses the virtues of local control – except when local control interferes with their interests.  They oppose local school boards being able to hire teachers who don't have a degree in education (professional chemists and mathematicians, for example, are less likely to join a union in a right-to-work state).  KNEA opposed granting school boards local control over due process, preferring state-mandated procedures that made it more difficult for local school boards to discipline or dismiss employees, and they were outraged at the suggestion that teachers be allowed to vote on whether to retain a union.

Cities and counties also oppose citizens being able to vote on property tax increases.  Taxpayer outrage over enormous tax increases prompted the Legislature to allow citizens to decide whether, with some exceptions, property taxes should increase by more than inflation.  Local elected officials say citizens can vote them out of office if they think taxes are too high but the power of incumbency renders that option largely moot.

Government doesn't have dominion over citizens in this country, and for the sake of our republic, let's hope it stays that way.

Ms. Felter's statements occurred in an email exchange with the author, with copies to all Olathe school board members and a citizen who posed some school spending questions to Olathe school board president Joe Beveridge.  Mr. Beveridge's response (in which he copied the entire Olathe school board) was forwarded to KPI for verification; we responded with data from Olathe's financial statements and personnel reports that contradicted several statements by Mr. Beveridge.  His response (again copying all board members) requested cost saving suggestions from KPI, to which Ms. Felter strenuously objected and made her local control comments.  By copying all board members in their replies, Mr. Beveridge and Ms. Felter may have violated the Kansas Open Meetings Act (KOMA) which prohibits 'serial meetings.'

[ii] Only 26% of per-pupil aid is attributable to Local aid on average in Kansas; USD 233 Olathe gets 29% from Local aid.  A pro rata portion of State and Federal aid can be attributed to district residents but the majority of aid still comes from residents outside a local district.

https://kansaspolicy.org/local-control-citizens-not-government/

Ross

I took a little trip to Howard to the County Court House this morning,

I have had a nagging question on my mind for a few days and I had to find an answer.

I asked for copies of all forms filed by West Elk USD-282 last year raising our property taxes 6.377 mills.

The "Resolution", the legal document was  printed in the Prairie Star on July 22nd and again on July 29th, 2015, not to exceed 5 years and not to exceed 8 mills.

Well the Property tax hike of 6.377 mills happened and was certified, documented and attested to by our County Clerk on August 25th, 2015.
Less than the 40 days allowed by the Legal Document.

You count the number of days from July 22, 2015 to August 25, 2016, yep, I was still collecting your signatures.

I have in my possession copies of all documents.

Now the point is the Resolution by law allows for 40 days from the first posting in the News paper to complete an Opposition Petition. A

And folks we did exactly that.  We completed the Opposition Petition successfully.

Now I ask you is this a form of corruption?

Is this theft of your money by illegally taxing your property?

Do you feel the School Board has any respect for you?

Do you think someone should raise a big stink?

Is it possible the School Board has the School Finances in trouble to go to such measures of cheating you the taxpayer and voter?

Do you even care?    It is your bank account,   It is your check book    they are taking money from!      Do you even care?

Let's hear from you !  You know where I stand!

The School Board is not made up of leaders, it is madee up of people we are suppose to be abel to trust to do the bidding of

"We The People"

Please review the post about
"LOCAL CONTROL IS ABOUT CITIZENS, NOT GOVERNMENT"
posted directly above this post!

Mom70x7

I like the majority of the decisions the West Elk School Board has been making. I think they respect my opinions.

redcliffsw

It looks like you are a supporter of government controlled schools.  Why is that?

Ross

Quote from: Mom70x7 on July 05, 2016, 10:16:36 PM
I like the majority of the decisions the West Elk School Board has been making. I think they respect my opinions.

Really, but we are not discussing the majority of their decisions are we?
Have you been to any recent School Board meetings to observe first hand how they make their decisison?

Do you also like having them lie to you and stealing from your bank account?

Do you Remember, when the Superintendent said, they only wanted and voted to take only 1 mill ?
Do You think they made good decisions to shut down both Grade Schools?
Do You think they made good decisions to waste in excessive of $100,000.00 plus on architects, not once but twice, know the voters would say no?
Do You think they made good decisions to buy portable buildings?
Do you think it was a good decision to purchase portable buildings?
Do you think it was a good decision not to follow the laws associated  with the Legal Document in they posted newpaper? Yes the "Respolution" !

Just asking .

I have a very busy day of personal business to tend today So I won't be back to respond until late in the day, if even then.

Have a great day folks.

readyaimduck

I do no believe a Resolution has to be published.  It is in effect upon signature.  Publishing is only a courtesy to the public.
It is not like an Ordinance which does have x amount of days after its last publication.

I might be wrong.

ready

Ross

We are dealing with publicly owned property and a Kansas Legal Document.
The school district is required by law to publish their Resolution twice, one week apart.

The Resolution it's self is a legal document.
That Legall document allows for an Oposition Petition which is also a legal document that must be notarized.

The Resolution allows for 40 days to put together a legal document called an Opposition Petition.

Which disallows them from legally using this resolution to raise property taxes, and tells the to put it on the ballot to be voted on.

So they illegally raised or property taxes last year by using the Opposition Petition or by raising the taxes  above the legal amount Mr. MOORE has stated numerous times at school board meetings of 4 mill.

If you think your school board is being respectful, then Hillary must be right and people should shut up and praise her and Bill as very honest people.

Ross

So does anyone believe th School Board is like Hillary Clinton and above the Law?

Does anyone believe the School Board should be  permitted to steal money from every property owner in this fashion?

Should the School Board be honest and return the stole money?

Does anyone reading this have any suggestions?

Who of you condone theft by breaking the law in this manner?

Why is everyone bashful all of a sudden?

I everyone afraid of the so called elite?

You do understand they are driving people to sell out and leave Elk County ?

I spoke to a gentleman that has lived here for more than 3 decades and he is considering selling and getting out.

It is caused by the greed and ugliness and the dishonesty that happens around here that is causing the declie of population in Elk County.

(The ugliess was when Dollar General wanted to open in Howard and all the threats that were floating around when the dollar store opened, the stupidity of Howard trying to extend their city limits out to encompass West Elk for no other reason than greed. They think if it is called Howeird West Elk people will move to Howard and bring money into their town. Just plain ignorance.)

And now the supposed creme de la creme of Elk County are stealing from the residence.

And none of you care, is that it?
!
Well I care and i want my money back and a written public apology in the Prairie Star.

Don't you?

Ross

I know you School Board Members and School Superintendent  are reading this and I would like to hear
your explanations concerning the property tax hike filed with the County Clerk prior to the legal 40 day waiting period laid out
by the Resolution you authorized to be posted in the paper last summer.

I am seriously considering having a talk with Attorney General Derek Schmidt concerning this situation and other matters concerning the West Elk School Board.

Unless you can convince me, that you will correct this situation and return the stolen property tax moneys and provide a written apology to all the taxpayers you have harmed I have no other option i can think of at the moment. It's up to you !

I do not represent anyone or any organization and all statements on this forum are my own opinion. and mine alone !

Is our School Board going to remain corrupt? Just asking!

readyaimduck

I stand corrected.  My apologies.

however: quote:  "  If you think your school board is being respectful, then Hillary must be right and people should shut up and praise her and Bill as very honest people."  unquote
This was uncalled for...has nothing to do with your petition and the school board...mixing up the threads?? 

Rosser...you have calmed down, and it is good to see for a discussion.  And, then....lol

ready

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk