They Didnt Have the Green Thing........:D

Started by thatsMRSc2u, April 19, 2011, 08:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

best coffee in the world comes off a campfire!
Right. Don't forget the "Hair on the chest" when it was so strong that a fork stood upright in it. Oh, yum yum

I still have my percolator that we used when camping. There are times when I just have to perk me a pot..........I must say, I still don't like a mouth full of grounds........but, oh the flavor.
(Oh, as long as I can when it is warm, I too use a clothes line...........even iron and it hasn't hurt me yet)
Thanks for the remember when! I like that.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Roma Jean Turner

I have only lived one place that had a dish washer and it was broken.  It seemed a waste of money to fix it for just me.  Did the Easy Bake taste good?

twirldoggy

Yes Roma it did taste good.  Teresa was right, it was a mess getting it out of the bag and wasteful as well.  The cardboard tray scorched in the oven and I think it was dangerous as it might have caught fire in the oven.  So I will just make my own the old fashioned way.  I hope a few of the young cooks will keep to the old scratch cooking in heavy iron pans!

I treasure the recipes passed on to me by my grandmothers on both sides.  On my father's side they had a thing called graham cracker pudding which was crushed graham crackers mixed with real whipped cream.  My Dad thought it was wonderful.  

Ms Bear

I enjoy my clothes line and don't have a dishwasher.  My grandson's wife didn't like to come visit at my house because with three kids she had to do laundry and she didn't know how to hang clothes on the line.  But then she didn't know how to fold them when they got dry either.  Would be nice if they could be taught things like that before they start having kids.

srkruzich

Quote from: Judy Harder on April 19, 2011, 01:32:36 PM

I still have my percolator that we used when camping. There are times when I just have to perk me a pot..........I must say, I still don't like a mouth full of grounds........but, oh the flavor.

My percolater finally gave up the ghost.  It started leaking water. :(  Need to find me another one.  They come in handy when power goes out or your "mr.Coffee" dies a sudden death.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

sodbuster

Pam thanks for the post. I too, make my bread by hand. I too do my dishes by hand, but I would rather have a dishwasher that heated the water to 180 degrees because it is more sanitary. That being said the fact that there is more bacteria on handwashed dishes probably explains why I have a good immune system.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

thatsMRSc2u

David I learned to wash dishes watchin my Granma Smith....she kept the water so hot her hands turned beet red! Was a rite of passage to get where you could stick your hands in the dishwater without jerkin em right back out and hollerin LOL

Wilma

No, we didn't have the green thing then.  All the water was heated on top of the stove.  The irons were heated on top of the stove.  Clothes had to be ironed because they didn't come in off the line unwrinkled.  Mostly they were all cotton and not perma prest.  I made coffee in an old aluminum drip-o-later which I still have in case of an emergency like Mr. Coffee giving up unexpectedly.  But--------------------

I wouldn't go back to those days for anything.  I will do the green thing now and hang on to my electricity, central heat and air, automatic washer and dryer, automatic dishwasher, electric vacuum cleaner, Mr. Coffee.  I like my first cup of coffee as soon as I get up and I like it hot.

Come to think of it, I did the green thing way back then, too.  I conserved water because it had to be carried into the house from the well.  I didn't waste electricity because we couldn't afford to pay a very big bill.  We burned wood, mostly, because it was free for the cutting.  I hung the clothes outside on a line unless it was too wet for them to get dry outside.  I was lucky if I got to town to buy groceries once in two weeks.  Saved a lot of gasoline.  The good old days were just that, good old days, but I prefer my good new days and I can still do the green thing.

Ms Bear

Diane Amberg

My parents would have never had a dryer except when Mom was in her 80's and broke both hips in less than a year, we got them one so Daddy could dry the clothes inside.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk