Residence Street, Howard, Ks

Started by W. Gray, April 10, 2011, 10:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

This photo appears on Ebay.

Does anyone recognize the intersection?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, I have an original of that same picture that is in my Hottinger collection.  When looking at it you are looking East on the street on the South side of the Courthouse. The house on the Left is the Bud and Ruth Barber house, the house on the right is on the lot where the Goodwin house was built in later years. The 3rd house on the right is the Hanna house which was torn down and Ralph and Zora Perkins built a new home on that lot in the 60s. Will look up the street names and post them.

frawin

Waldo. that picture is the corner of Randolph and Cedar

flintauqua

That would be looking east on Randolph with street fore of the houses being Cedar.  Picture looks to be taken from the courthouse drive or between it and Pine.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

W. Gray

Got the orientation.

That house on the left on Cedar has been torn down in recent years. The house to its immediate east on Randolph needs to be torn down.

To the left of that house on Cedar a business garage of some type has been erected. Never have heard what the purpose is.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

hhjacobs

The house on the left would be what they call the Helms house now, Debbie Helms was the last Helms owner. The garage built to the east of that on Randolph and alley is not a business but a personal garage!!

frawin

Waldo, I mentioned that the house on the left was the Bud and Ruth Barber house, Ruth was a sister to Roy Rogers.

W. Gray

Holy Cow:

It has to be a small world.

frawin

Waldo, not the Leonard Slye  one though.

W. Gray

Glad you explained that.

I did look up Slye's family before I posted. I think he was from a large family and there did not seem to be his entire family listed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk