From an Old Settler (T. M. Carter, one of Elk County's very oldest settlers)

Started by Janet Harrington, November 12, 2006, 03:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

T. M. Carter, one of Elk County's very oldest settlers and a respected citizen, gives some incidents of his early life in Elk county in last week's Courant, as follows:

On January 29, 1869, when Kansas was only 8 years old, I came to what is now Elk co. and settled on a claim in Sec 7, twp 30, range 11 east; and I have remained on said claim ever since.  I think I am the oldest settler living on Elk river that settled here as early as '69.

I have lived on this farm forty one years today; if there is any other old settler on Elk river who has lived on his claim forty-one years, I will be pleased to meet him.  I don't think there is a lady or gentleman that was grown when I came here that is living now in Howard township; the majority of old settlers have crossed the river of Death.  Some few are still living.

When I settled here Howard was unknown.  There was but one settler living between Howard and Fall River; this was old D. W. Mackey.  The country was a vast plain of prairie grass.

The first men to stake off Howard City were John McBee, Joseph Greenwood, Henry O'neil, P. C. Topping, Dan French and others.  The first man on Elk River in this township was Dan French; the first election ever held was in Henry O'Neil's and here I cast my first vote; the first Sunday school ever held was in the McBee hotel and Charlie Adams was the superintendent; the first preacher I heard in Elk county was Stephen Fread, Marion Fread's father; the first store was run by Austin McFarland; the first blacksmith was Ed Schrader; the first bank was started by Momma and Eby; the first saloon was owned by Tommy Farrell.

The last school I ever attended was in Howard near the present school building.  It was taught by H. B. Kelly.  All my children have played on the same school ground I did when I attended my last school.

I have seen storms of nearly every kind, the grasshopper plague, chinch bugs and drouths.  In conclusion I will say to the young generation, "Be hones and make good"

T. M. CARTER

(I have no knowledge what date this was printed in the Courant. JJH)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk