school board minutes

Started by PrehistoricRez, March 10, 2011, 12:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrehistoricRez

why do we have to wait 3-4 weeks for the minutes to be in the paper?  isnt the school board meeting on monday nights and the paper deadline is 5pm tuesday?  (scratching head)

jerry wagner

Minutes are not official until approved at the next meeting.

redcliffsw

Why are you in such a hurry?  You expecting read about something new and improved?

It ain't gonna happen.

Patriot

Quote from: redcliffsw on March 10, 2011, 12:12:58 PM
Why are you in such a hurry?  You expecting read about something new and improved?

It ain't gonna happen.

You are such a cynic, redcliffsw .
I, on the other hand, could never be so skeptical of our public officials!  Not!
  :angel:

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Lookatmeknow!!

Not trying to start anything, but do you all even know what it is like out at the school since they put in the portables? Do you know what all the teachers have to do to teach the children? Do you know what parents do to help their children? Do you know how much time the kids study every night? I do to all of them. Yes, we elect the officials. They are elected by us and should work for us. I know that alot of complaints that many of the school board members don't even know about unless people go to the meetings and voice what their concerns are. Yes, you have to call a week ahead of time, but that is with any school board meeting that you attend. I do think that the district does spend alot of money and not in the right areas. But what gets me is that the same people are always complaining about the same things. No one has any money these days!!! I also feel that if you have a grip that is your right, too. But attend those meetings, be involved in things, don't just sit back and complain all the time about how things are run in the schools and also Elk County. I for one, have lived outside of Elk County, and no not just Severy either. I made the decision to come back and raise my kids here for the same reason that many of you have, it is a small quiet community, for the most part. Not trying to step on toes, I just feel like everyone is always so negative about Teachers, in general, and the school here in Howard. Do you realize how many GREAT teachers there are that do the best they can everyday. They don't get millions of dollars, or live in a mansion either. They get way less the the amount of Education that they have to have to become teachers. They teach because they love their job!!

Sorry just get tired of all the negative things about teachers and West Elk!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

flo

excuse me for butting in, Angie, but I didn't read anything about the West Elk teachers.  All I seen was a couple comments about the school board minutes being published.  And yes, I've been told they wait till they are approved before having them published.  You may step down from your soap box now.  :angel:
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Patriot

Quote from: flo on March 10, 2011, 05:20:45 PM
...I didn't read anything about the West Elk teachers.

True, flo.  Even complaints about education nationally is usually more about weak administrators and/or self-serving union leadership.  With the possible exception of teachers who say its' 'all about the kids' and then lie about illness to support self-serving union interests as hundreds did recently in Wisconsin.  Most teachers I suspect really do want to provide the best for their students.  It must be hard for them to soar with eagles given the few turkeys with whom they are forced to fly.  We're just griping about the turkeys and those who elect or hire them.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Lookatmeknow!!

Well, let me put it this way. It is not my business who you voted for, but did you vote for any of the school board members that are on the board? Have you ever went to a meeting until they were talking about increasing taxes to build a new building? Everyone of the Elk county citizens 18 and over who are registared have the right to vote for the member that serves their area. Another way to voice your opinion, and I am sure you any of you could do that, call them up and tell them what you think. It never hurts to do that. I have before. I have discussed issue that I have had with some things. You can also find alot of information out about the school by visiting the KDE website: http://www.ksde.org/ . I actually didn't know until reading the Prairie Star how much per child is spent on each child at West Elk. To tell you the truth, I haven't looked at the other schools to see how we compare. But I have my grips too about how the school has done things. I have kids out there and a couple of mine don't like the situation with the portables. I don't like the amount of my taxes that have went up due to school money issues.  I have other things that have upset me this year, but this isn't the place to discuss it either.

My point is attend the meetings if you can, request school board minutes of the business that they are going to be doing, get involved at some level. Don't just be a person that sits in the dust and complains all the time. Sorry Flo, I got on my SOAPBOX again!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

mtcookson

Quote from: Lookatmeknow!! on March 10, 2011, 02:00:42 PMNot trying to start anything, but do you all even know what it is like out at the school since they put in the portables? Do you know what all the teachers have to do to teach the children? Do you know what parents do to help their children? Do you know how much time the kids study every night? I do to all of them.

I'm a little confused. What is making it so tough to teach and/or learn in a portable building? I'm a bit out of the loop on this one so don't really know what the complaints are, minus that they're portable.

Mom70x7

This has nothing to do with school board minutes, and . . .

I don't know about the actual teaching in the buildings, but I do know going from class to class has been tough.

For students to go to music, PE, library, etc., they have to get dressed for outside weather, then change when in the respective room, then get dressed for outside weather to return to their classrooms, etc. It really takes up some time. There is no "send them down the hallway" for anything. Sometimes an aide is available, but most of the time everything becomes an excursion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk