Eagle Cam....

Started by Teresa, March 04, 2011, 04:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

I don't know if anyone is interested in this.. ( but I think you might be,)  :)

Outdoor Channel, in partnership with the National Conservation Training Center, provides this live EagleCam to stream the activities of the eagle nest located 110 feet up, in a tree on the grounds of the US FWS National Conservation Training Center. The nest has been active for six seasons, fledgling several juvenile bald eagles. The eagles return to the nest for the winter season around mid-January, with eggs being laid in early February. Bookmark this page to come back and see how the eagles are doing.
The eagle nest is located approximately 75 miles from Washington, D.C. on the campus of The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services' National Conservation Training Center. The campus is in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, along the Potomac River.

( I sometimes watch them as I worked and have their screen minimized and in the corner...)

The Eagles names are Belle and Lib... that is what someone has named them.
I do occasionally check in with them at night but you can' see anything as well. A few nights ago, however.. something had the female extremely agitated.. she was prancing all over the place with her wings out.. Don't know what it was.. but she didn't like it. After awhile... the other one came and they both settled down.. .. It is so interesting.. I just love it and thought today as I looked in on them .. that you all might too. Its windy today..You can hear the wind... and the posts say it is around 28 degrees.. this is the first year I have watched.. but by going back and reading all the posts, it should be rather exciting when the babies are born.. :)  

Let me know of you like it as much as I do..  :)

January 20, 2011 Update

We are excited that the eagles have been working hard to set up the nest for another nesting season. Dawn, midday and dusk seems to be the best time to view them right now. There has been mating activity occuring for more than a week, which is a good sign.

We have been able to adjust the new cam to work fairly well in night vision mode, so we are ready for the eggs to be laid. We are hoping to see the first egg within about about two weeks, toward the beginning of February.

Keep watching...

Click on this link and use it daily to check on the eagles and their nest of eggs.. I actually have this link saved on my desktop..and I check on them about 5 times a day..  :)

http://outdoorchannel.com/Conservation/EagleCam.aspx

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

It was snowing on them  this morning... and at 1:22 today she got up.. there are 2 eggs.. and she prearranged them.. gently moving them around.. then settled back on them... and started to gather bits of nest and tucked it around her... trying to further protect her eggs from the cold..
That was so cool!  My day is complete!!

W. Gray

She got up around 10:50 am Howard time and rearranged the two eggs and did some nest housekeeping with the finer bits of grass, etc.

That nest looks awfully big for just two young'ns.

What I have always wondered about nest making is: Once that first twig is put into position in a tree juncture, how does that lone twig stay put until the mama bird can return with enough twigs to begin an interlock of materials to hold the nest secure?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Waldo,
I'd say super glue or maybe that's where papa-bird comes into play. :)

Teresa

Quote from: jarhead on March 10, 2011, 01:02:29 PM
Waldo,
I'd say super glue or maybe that's where papa-bird comes into play. :)

::) and I am sure if YOU were the papa bird.. you would have enough hot air and bull s*** to make it stick together just fine..

:)

jarhead

And you just bought yourself an old time Kansas ass whup'n, Blondie. Ol Sarge and me are just the guys that can deliever ( we always work as a tag team )

frawin

Get em Teresa, I want to have the ticket sales and concessions for that one.

Teresa

Pfffhhttt... Like.... I'm supposed to be shaking in my socks?  You and Ole Sarge couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag... let alone give me an Kansas ass whuppin. Both of ya are too old and fat..  :P

And I've certainly noticed..as maybe you haven't yet?? ?? ?? That your "tag team" buddy Ole' Sarge hasn't said a word! Most likely sittin' under a shade tree somewhere with one of Franks tickets in his hand waiting to see the show.. LOL

jarhead

Wrong again. I called his squaw woman and she said he's outside doing push-ups, getting in shape. Wish i hasd more time to argue with you but got to go jog ANOTHER 7 miles !!!

Sarge

Whew!!! I just came in from running a couple of miles and doing a bunch of push ups. What's going on??
the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk