Stage Coast West to Kansas by Mary Einsel

Started by Roma Jean Turner, March 02, 2011, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

I ran across this book and I think it is so good.  This book is copyrighted 1970.  It says that Mary Einsel lives on a ranch near Coldwater, Kansas and has written a number of articles on Kansas History.  Don't know if she is still living or not.

Found this interesting about the Civil War.  Kansas had been  a state 3 months when the war started.  There were 30,000 men in the state between 18 and 45.  All told Kansas sent 20,0000 (2/3) of the states men to fight.  More than any other state.  It included "two Negro infantry regiments, a Negro artillery battery, and three Indian regiments."  Kansas had the highest mortality rate of any state...8,497 killed in the Civil War.

W. Gray

Thanks Roma Jean,

I located a used copy on the internet and ordered it.

I was aware of the "colorful" regiments but had not heard about the Kansas mortality rate. that is an interesting statistic.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

At some point, Mary Einsel moved to Wickenburg, Arizona, 60 miles northwest of Phoenix.

Her best selling book was apparently "Kansas, the Priceless Prairie."

What appears to be her latest book, 2009, is "The Historic Santa Fe Trail."
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Roma Jean Turner

Great.  I will try to get both of those.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk