Last living U.S. World War I veteran dies

Started by frawin, February 28, 2011, 05:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Frank Buckles, the last living U.S. World War I veteran, has died, a spokesman for his family said Sunday. He was 110. Buckles was also a POW in WWII. I remember when I was a young boy in Howard, we had several WWI veterans living there.

jarhead

Frank,
One of my favorite people I ever had the pleasure of being a friend to was my great uncle, Robert Otis Smith. Uncle Bob lied about his age and went to war during WW-I. He turned 16 in a trench in France. I just can not imagine going to war at the age of 15. For the record, my uncle Bob was Sarge's grand dad. Uncle Bob did run into a little problem when he decided to retire and his military record for his age didn't jive with what age he really was.
A local named George Dames was also a WW-I vet. I have no idea if it is true but he liked telling the story that during the war he was in charge of 'cutting soldiers' a set of orders. One day after cutting a set of orders to send someone home he decided to cut himself some orders and "sent" himself home. If that is true I'd say he was a very smart man . :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk