DAVIDSON, Ruth (Vestal) (Zollars) - b. March 11, 1918 - d. January 14, 2011

Started by patyrn, January 15, 2011, 10:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Ruth Elizabeth (Martin) (Vestal) (Zollars), a longtime resident of Longton, Kansas, age 92, died Friday, January 14, 2011 at the Maria Care Center in Mulvane, Kansas.  Ruth was born March 11, 1918 in Glen Elder, Kansas, the daughter of Robert M. and Martha Ethel (Jones) Martin.

When Ruth was one year old, her family moved to Hiawassee, Arkansas.  In 1923, the family moved to Longton, Kansas.  In January 1935, Ruth married Cleo Vestal.  They were married for 40 years until his death in 1975.  In June 1976, Ruth married Offie Zollars.  They were married for four years until his death in 1980.  In November 1981, Ruth married Robert Davidson.  They were married for 10 years until his death in 1991. 

Ruth was a farmer, rancher, and homemaker.  She worked many years as a cook for the Longton School System.  She also worked as a phone operator for the Longton Phone Company.  Ruth helped cook breakfast for the annual Wolf Hunts.  She enjoyed knitting and crocheting and made hundreds of items which she shared with family and friends.  Although Ruth never had any children of her own, she was a strong influence on all of her nieces and nephews and will be greatly missed by them.

Ruth is survived by her nephews, Doug Hisken and and Russell Hisken, both of Belle Plaine, Kansas, and Steve Mashburn of Wichita, Kansas; nieces, Teresa Heater and Tina Friend, both of Belle Plaine, Kansas; along with 21 great-nephews and great-nieces.  She was preceded in death by a nephew; her parents, three husbands; one brother, Clyde Rex Martin; and two sisters, Lois Currey and Joan Hisken.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 10:00 a.,m. at Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas with the Rev. Janelle McDaniel of Belle Plaine United Methodist Church officiating with burial to follow at the Longton Cemetery, Longton, Kansas.  Visitation will be Monday, January 17, 2011 from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.  Memorials have been suggested to either the Belle Plaine Community Foundation and/or the Longton Free Fair Association and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Services have been entrusted to Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website_

Buddyboy

She was such a sweet lady. I remember when she married Uncle Offie and her beet wine. Never did get to try any darn it...Our family would visit often. I had been trying to find her since we moved back but had been unable to track her down. I did not know that she had remarried. A wonderful lady..may she rest in peace.

patyrn

I am so glad this was meaningful to you.  Situations like these make it worthwhile to track down obituaries related to the area and hope someone can use them for personal knowledge or genealogy information.  May you have fond memories of your relative. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk