Out of the Fire

Started by sodbuster, January 01, 2011, 11:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodbuster

Right after I was brought out of my coma, I was restrained by arm restraints so that I would not pull out my respirator in my woozy state. To say the least I found this very distressing. On one occassion I was choking and did not realize I was restrained. I panicked and pulled on my restraints trying to break my bed frame to get free. Finally the nurses calmed me down and released me from my restraints. I was very mad and a little embarassed by my outburst. I looked over to my doorway and sitting in a little wagon was "Ethan" a 3 or so year old burn patient who had witnessed the whole thing. He was just staring at me. I looked at him and our eyes locked. He kept looking at me and motioning towards me to his parents who were pulling the wagon he was in. I gave him a little wave. He smiled. He started making a ruckus as they started to take him down the hall. He kept pointing at me. Finally his parents brought him in my room near my bed. He just looked at me. He lifted up his hand and touched mine. I smiled at him as best as I could. I can't explain how good that made me feel. I am not sure I am doing justice to this story but , we really had a connection at that moment. He knew what I was going through. It made me cry then and it still does today. I made sure I waved at him everytime his little wagon was pulled by my room.  :laugh:

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

twirldoggy

This shows to me how a connection can be made even if you don't know how or why.  When I was in the hospital I talked, talked, talked to some of the people who came in my room.  One time a housekeeper began to cry as I was talking.  She told me her daughter had died without her present and she couldn't get over it.  What made her cry is too personal to relate here but she felt much better after that and told me so many times.  I think the Holy Spirit directed me to say the words that would help her.  I did not even know I was doing it at the time.  

sodbuster

Twirldoggy, once I could talk again after they took me off the respirator I talked everyones ear off.  Because of my breathing treatments and feedings through my NG tube every 4 hours, I did not sleep very often. I too talked to my housekeeper, who had a "kid" my age. My Mom's husband brought in a Panavision digital frame with pictures of me and my family throughout my life. Everyone that came in to my room stood and looked at all the rotating pictures. The nurses liked the ones of me from when I was a kid in the 60's. Everyone was dressed up in ties and dresses.  I was a cute little cus' in my bow tie and vest. The nurses also, loved the picture of me in my premie incubator from when I was born. It looked like a space ship. I probably don't have to tell you how important all those conversations with everyone were to me. A special mention goes out to my nurse Tomiko. A fantastically gorgeous girl in her early 20's. On the burn unit each nurse had only 2 patients and would sit outside the door of our rooms. Since I was always awake she and I talked for many hours. She really helped me get through such a terrible experience. I have to say that I fell in love with her in a special way. All my nurses were great and I hold them all very dearly in my heart.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Diane Amberg

I have very deep respect for burn unit nurses, especially those who deal with children. I don't remember talking much but I cried so much to this day I don't have much cry left. Fortunately I wasn't in long and was able to heal at home.

twirldoggy

I hear you David and Diane.  Some of the experiences are very deep and life changing.  Sometimes I think I need a therapist to discuss them with.  Fortunately Medicare will pay for professional counseling!!!  And I just got Medicare. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk