BURCH, Clyde - b. July 15, 1917 - d. December 13, 2010

Started by patyrn, December 15, 2010, 02:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Clyde Burch, 93, a longtime local cattleman and rancher in Elk and Wilson County, died on Monday, December 13, 2010 at Fredonia Regional Hospital in Fredonia, Kansas.  He was born on July 14, 1917 in Sedan, Kansas, the son of James Durston and Monzella (Vanderhoof) Burch.

On July 24, 1937 at Pawhuska, Oklahoma, he married Nola Phyllis Banning.  They enjoyed 67 years of marriage until her death on January 24, 2004.  Clyde and Nola lived in Sedan, Kansas until they purchased a ranch in Elk County in 1950.  In 1979, they moved to Fredonia, Kansas, and Clyde remained active in the cattle business.  He enjoyed buying cattle in the spring and selling them before winter.  Most Tuesdays, you would find him sitting at the Fredonia Livestock Sale visiting with everyone, as it seemed he knew no strangers.  Clyde loved to kick up his heels at least once a week at a local dance.  He was a member of the Buxton Chrisian Church, First United Methodist Church, Elk County Fair Association, Old Iron Club, Kansas Livestock Association, and the Fredonia Co-Op Association.

Clyde is survived by his daughter, Clydene Owen of Osawatomie, Kansas; his son and daughter-in-law, Sonny and Mary Ellen Burch of Ottawa, Kansas; grandchildren, Curtis Owen, Teresa and Bob Allen, Lorri and Adam Jenson, Rhonda and Josh Johnson, Britt and Scott Hollister, Gwen and Gary Poss, Debbie and Gregg Stewart, Shelly and Tim Diamond, and Melissa and Quinten Bergstrom; his companion, Norma Troutman of Fredonia, Kansas; and fifteen great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren. 

He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Nola; one sister, Ora Joseph; two brothers, Dean Burch and Dale Burch; and a son-in-law, Neal Owen. 

Funeral services will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 at the Buxton Christian Church with Rev. Gene Benefiel officiating.  Burial will follow at the Fredonia City Cemetery.  Friends may call at Timmons Funeral Home, 510 N. 7th Street, Fredonia, Kansas, on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. with the family receiving friends from 5:00  to 6:00 p.m.  

The family requests in lieu of flowers, contributions be made in Clyde's name to the Buxton Christian Church.  Words of condolence for the family may be sent to www.timmonsfuneralhome.com.  Timmons Funeral Home, P.O. Box 168, Fredonia, Kansas 66736 is in charge of arrangements.

(taken from the Timmons Funeral Home website)

frawin

Clyde was a really nice person, he loved family and life to the fullest. I visited with Clyde somewhere earlier this year, I think it was at the Severy Labor Day celebration. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Judy Harder

I enjoyed Clyde. He came to Longton a lot and when there was a dance in the area you better believe he was there and didn't sit too many out. Last time he was at cafe (when I was) he was still going and dancing and I would imagine there is a dance
in heaven tonight that he will be kicking up his heels in.

Rest in peace Clyde. you will be missed.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk