I got my deer this afternoon!!

Started by Teresa, December 11, 2010, 01:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

You guys...I got my deer tonight..

.. it was so exciting.. A nice 8 point stepped out about 4:40 pm.. and he was 175 yds.. perfect distance. Mark had gone out with me cause I told him I was taking one of the does tonight regardless, so he knew I would need help loading her.
Well when he stepped out, I'm telling you right now..that the doe plan was gone.  ;D
I leveled down on him .. got myself ready and Mark whispered to me.. "You DO have a shell in right?"  I disgustedly answered.. " Well Hell yes.. you think I'm an idiot on my first hunt?"   He said.."Well, I figured you did, but I just wanted to ask"..
So I took another breath and waited. I wanted him to step out a little more..and he didn't!
Mark said"..If you're gonna take the sniper shot, and not wait.. its a hell of a small target that you got there to shoot..and it will be hell of a shot if you make it. "  
I said, "Well, I'm gonna take it... I can make this shot!"..
So I breathed out and and squeezed the trigger and I heard a 'click'..
He said... " oh F#@% !"
I said" Oh Shit"  :o
Guess what..  I didn't have a shell in the chamber ::) I could NOT believe it! Seriously? Been hunting for 30 years and never had this happen..
But happen it did~~~
Honestly I thought I had racked one in the first day I went out, but I guess I didn't.. So I gently pulled my gun down and calmly , slowly and quiet as I could, I jacked a cartridge in the chamber.. Took another breath, pulled the scope up to my eye and and looked once again at him and he hadn't moved. Still the only part that was available to shoot was his head and a little of his neck... the rest of his body had obstruction covering him..

I said, "Ok.. I can do this" and I let out my breath and squeezed.
He dropped right where he stood ..kicked 3 times and was done!

I was so excited!!! It was a beauty of a shot too. right through the neck.  :)
I was so cold and it was getting dark.. so we brought him back to the house to gut and skin him.
I pulled back strap and tenderloins and quartered him. and  I'll butcher him tomorrow after he cools down tonight.. Supposed to get in the low 20's..so it ought to be perfect..

I opened up this album on my facebook for everyone to see , so click on the link and look at him..I'm really proud of this one. He isn't by a long shot the biggest one the men in my family have shot, but he sure is a respectable size for me..  

Click on each picture to enlarge it.  :)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=99055&id=1360856348&l=1fd4f364a8
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Roma Jean Turner

Congratulations.  I enjoyed getting the text messages and can definetly imagine that little scenario between you and Mark when you heard the click.

ddurbin

Way to go, girl!!!! He's a dandy.  Great to see you taking part in the whole experience from beginning to end.  All that's left now is the enjoyment of some good venison.  Congratulationsl

Sarge

That's a nice deer Twee. It has a good looking rack. Congratulations!!!
the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

Diane Amberg

One blond moment redeemed by a great kill shot.Congratulations! Nice looking big deer.

jarhead

Damn Teresa, you grin any bigger and your face is gonna split wide open. You are smiling like a happy camper. Carlos Hathcock would be proud of your shot

frawin

Nice Buck Teresa, you can be proud of that one.

Jo McDonald

THAT'S OUR GIRL !!!!

Congratulations, Sweetheart......Love ya'  MUCH !!

Mama
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Janet Harrington

All I have to say is...WAY TO GO, MS. T. CONGRATULATIONS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk