2010 Thanksgiving

Started by W. Gray, November 28, 2010, 10:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

We had Thanksgiving dinner this year at the Howard Senior Citizen Center.

It was a very good dinner with Ham, Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, dressing, green beans, a huge roll, etc. All huge helpings and this year service was at the table rather than in a cafeteria line. It was a smooth transition from the high school.

Eighty-nine people registered.

My wife and I sat with my mother, Rosie Gray, her brother, Johnnie Miller, Buena Taylor, Mary Ellen Edwards, Sachiko (I hope that is spelled right) Edwards, and Maurice Marion.

Buena, Mary Ellen, and Sachiko all admitted to knowing Ron of the Jarhead Clan (this comment may not make sense unless one has seen Avatar).

Maurice Marion lived on the next quarter-section over from my mother when she was a teenager. She said he was just as talkative then as he is now.

Spoke with Neva Walter who is hobbling on a cane. She has had a hip replaced. Missed six weeks of work but is back and is now waiting until she can have the other one replaced.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Ole Granny

Good to hear Maurice is doing good.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

jarhead

Waldo,
I hope my Aunt's Buena & Mary Ellen spoke highly of their nephew.
They should have had answers to your "Upola questions" and early day schools of Elk county. Sachiko's late husband, my oldest brother, was from the "Jarhead clan" also.
Maurice is a hoot and a wealth of information on the old days. Many moons ago I tore a barn down on the Benny Beau (sp) farm, north of Moline. Barn had 2x6 tongue & grove lumber that were 33 feet in length and not a knot the entire length. Maurice said they were from stave silos that had been tore down back when he was a pup, and then used to build the barn.If my memory is right I think he said in 1933

frawin

Waldo, I was in Howard last week to attend Mary Stark's services and I got a big hug from my favorite Rosie. Your Mother is always a pleasure to visit with. I know she enjoyed having Thanksgiving with you and your wife and her brother. I always enjoy seeing Johnnnie and having a visit with him.

twirldoggy

I am wondering how they managed to get 89 people into the senior center.

W. Gray

Twirldoggy,

We arrived early anticipating a possible seating problem.

There is another seating area on the other side of the kitchen. I did not go back there, so I don't know how many that area might hold. 

I heard a number of folks saying they would take out.

Meals were also taken to shut ins and I don't know if they were included on the register.

Frank,

Thanks for the kind words. Johnnie is recovering from surgery and he is not as sharp as he used to to be but he still has a sense of humor.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Ms Bear

Glad to hear Maurice is doing so well.  I have not met him but he is my grandmother's nephew.

W. Gray

Well Ron, when I inquired as to whether they knew you, there was this long silence......

Just Joking!

They all smiled.

greatguns

Jarhead, of course my Aunts spoke highly of you because that is the kind of good ladies they are.

jensarlou

They don't do Thanksgiving dinner at the High School anymore???  When did it stop???  I loved to do dinner there because it was less work and the food was always wonderful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk