DAUGHERTY, Debra Kay (Hawkins) - b. February 25, 1955 - d. November 14, 2010

Started by patyrn, November 16, 2010, 10:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Debra Kay (Hawkins) Daugherty, 55, of The Woodlands, Texas, joined her heavenly family on November 14, 2010 after a yearlong battle with cancer.  Deb was born February 25, 1955 in Sedan, Kansas, the daughter of James V. Hawkins and Loweta (Bell) Hawkins.

She was raised throughout the United States, moving frequently with her father's construction career.  She graduated from Northwest High School in Omaha, Nebraska in 1973.  In 1974, she married Gerald S Daugherty, and they raised two sons, J.J. and Joshua.  Divorced in 2000, Deb and Jerry remained good friends and co-parents.

Deb adored her boys and spent her early motherhood years carting them to sporting events and school activities.  One of her greatest joys in life was becoming a YaYa (grandmother) to her beloved granddaughter, Claire.  Making her Halloween costumes and enjoying all the little girl things with Claire were truly cherished times.  Deb has worked in the accounting office at El Paso Oil and Gas in Houston, Texas for the past 10 years.

Deb is survived by her father James V. Hawkins of Pryor, Oklahoma; sons, Joshua Cain Daugherty  and Jeremiah James (J.J.) Daugherty and wife Anne-Marie of The Woodlands, Texas; granddaughter, Claire Daugherty of The Woodlands, Texas; sisters, Carol Matheny of Granbury, Texas and Linda Lafayette (Charles) of Cumberland, Virginia;  brother, James E. Hawkins (Sherry) of Gulf Shores, Alabama; nieces, nephews, and her Yorkshire Terrier, Jake.

Her mother, Loweta Hawkins, and brother-in-law, Terry Matheny, preceded Deb in death.

Our mother, daughter, sister, grandmother, aunt, and friend will be greatly missed.  She was a kind and helpful spirit to all who knew her.  She asked for your words of joy, not sorrow, in her passing as she enters into eternity.

A gathering of family and friends will be held at the family home on Saturday, November 20, 2010 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

(taken from the Houston Community Newspapers Online website)

Debra's grandparents, Virgil and Helen Hawkins, were longtime residents of Moline, Kansas.  Her parents, Jim and Loweta Hawkins, graduated from Moline High School.  

jpbill

Thanks Karen for posting this obituary.  My niece, Debi, lived in Elk county at two different times in her life and always enjoyed visiting her grandparents in Moline.  She was a wonderful person who will be truly missed.  I thank God for the 55 years I knew her.

Uncle Bill

Ole Granny

My sympathy to your family.  Please give Jim my condolences.
Losing a child is very difficult.
Love you all. Alice
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk