FITZGIBBONS, John "Truman" - b. September 11, 1918 - d. October 2, 2010

Started by patyrn, October 06, 2010, 09:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

John "Truman" Fitzgibbons, 92, went to be with the Lord peacefully early Saturday morning, October 2, 2010 at Oconee Regional Hospital in Milledgeville, Georgia after a brief illness.  He was born September 11, 1918 in Longton, Kansas to John Grover Fitzgibbons and Lena (Whitmer) Fitzgibbons.

In 1939, Truman enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps, serving his country proudly in World War II in the Pacific Theatre.  He loved traveling, especially cruises, and was an avid outdoorsman who enjoyed fishing and hunting.  Nothing gave him more joy than spending time with family, reminiscing about family times spent in Longton, Kansas, or planning the next fishing or family outing at his home on Lake Sinclair in Milledgeville, Georgia.  He truly enjoyed life to the fullest and was loved and endeared by all who knew him.

The Fitzgibbons family would like to thank the staff, doctors, and nurses at Oconee Regional Hospital, Heritage Health and Rehabilitation of Toomsboro, Georgia, and all the staff and residents at Stone Brooke Suites in Gray, Georgia where he was affectionately known as "Mr. T".

He is survived by one daughter, Trudy Fitzgibbons Foster of Brentwood, California; two grandchildren, Dennis Foster of Norwalk, California and Sandie Foster Hischier of Brentwood, California; four nephews, Ronald Sartin of Cedar Vale, Kansas, George Etheridge Fitzgibbons of Jasper, Georgia, Todd Dean Fitzgibbons of Macon, Georgia, and Stephen Gregg Fitzgibbons of Macon, Georgia; five nieces, Janice Sartin Parent of Branson, Missouri, Connie Fitzgibbons Kaye of Tampa, Florida, JoEllen Fitzgibbons Hurt of Cartersville, Georgia, Judy Fitzgibbons Carswell of Macon, Georgia, and Susan Fitzgibbons Abernathy of Macon, Georgia; four great-grandchildren; and a host of great nieces and nephews.  

He is preceded in death by his wife, Dorthy Fitzgibbons; his parents; one sister, Melba Fitzgibbons Sartin of Cedar Vale, Kansas; and two brothers, George Etheridge Fitzgibbons of Macon, Georgia and Romine Fitzgibbons of Downey, California.

A viewing was held on Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at Reynolds Funeral Home in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  Graveside services were held, Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 11:00 a.m. at the Longton Cemetery in Longton, Kansas.  Military rites were conducted by Carter-Rader American Legion Post #149 of Howard, Kansas.  Pastor Dena Allison of the Longton United Methodist Church officiated.  Connie Russell was the vocalist.  

In lieu of flowers, kindly make a contribution in the memory of John Truman Fitzgibbons to Grace Baptist Church, P.O. Box 3956, Highway 44, Eatonton, GA 31024.

(taken from the Williams Funeral Home website)

Bonnie M.

I remember well the "Fitzgibbons Boys!"  Do you, Jo?  They were very faithful to come back to Longton to see their parents, who, of course, had the "Fitzgibbons Grocery Store."  I had no idea that they were still alive, as I'd completely lost track of where they lived.  I thought one of them had lived in California, in fact, I thought maybe they all did, at one time.  I guess that Truman was the last of that generation.  Very interesting.  Thank you, "Patyrn," for posting this.
Bonnie

patyrn

I did not know this family, but my husband helped with the American Legion memorial ceremony in Longton today, so he told me about this man's  WWII service when he called tonight--one of the "Greatest Generation".  I searched the internet, and finally found his obituary from Georgia.  Sounds like he always cherished his "home" roots.  He may have lived in California at some point as you recalled because his daughter lives there.

Judy Harder

Fitzgibbons,

That has been a name I have heard since moving to Longton. I had never met any, but the older generation I use to drink coffee with always had a nice word for this family.

My sympathy to the family.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Bonnie M.

I really do appreciate your posting the obituaries.  Thank you so much for doing such a kind service for the Forum.
Bonnie

jarhead

Bonnie,
While going coon hunting with Pat Lemon back in the early 60's we went down on Wildcat creek at Frank Whitmer's farm south of Elk Falls. Frank wanted to go with us and when we got there a feller name Romine Fitzgibbons went too. Frank filled Romine with so much BS about cougars and such the poor fellow probably had second thoughts about even going. Romine must have been a nephew of Frank's, huh ?

Bonnie M.

Yes, Romine would've been a nephew of Frank's, and I didn't know that, until I read Truman's obituary.  Did you ever know Ronnie or Janice Sartin?  Patsy said she remembered Janice, I think they used to come to Longton to visit their grandparents.   I think quite a few of the Fitzgibbons family are buried in the Longton cemetary.  Maybe all of the brothers, along with their parents?  We'll have to check that out, "one of these days!"
Bonnie

ddurbin

Bonnie (and anyone else interested in Elk County history)
No need to wait.  Click on over to www.ksgennet.org/ks/ek/cem/longton.html and you can see that there are 5 Fitzgibbons buried at Longton: George, Amanda, George E., Leona and John G.  While you're there take a look around the entire site as it's loaded with information.

Judy Harder

Thanks, That was interesting. I did notice that there were names missing.
Do you know why? Now I may have overlooked  a couple.......like Glenn Barnaby
and Norma Brotherton..............I am getting use to new glasses.

I spent an hour or so Wednesday afternoon out at the cemetery (letting the dogs run a bit) and I had just missed
the burial of Mr. Fitzgibbons. I thought that they were just revamping a grave that needed
work.

No one was there, except the truck with the hoist on it and a hearse.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Bonnie M.

Thank you so much for posting that web-site.  And, as Judy said, I wonder who a person could contact, to add family members and friends who have passed away, onto the list.  For instance, my Mother isn't on the list, nor is Ardis Moore, Lynn Wolfe, and those are just some I'm thinking of, "off of the top of my head!"

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Bonnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk