Be on guard for deer............

Started by patyrn, October 05, 2010, 09:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

I know everyone in the area is aware of the hazards of deer on the highways at this time of year, but stay alert.  My husband was driving to Howard this afternoon/early evening and hit and killed a deer near Arkansas City.  Thankfully Rodney is fine, and my car is drivable but pretty damaged on the front end.  It was at the edge of town, and he was only going 45 mph but he said it just happened so quickly and luckily bounced off onto the side of the road rather than over the hood.   Pretty scary........

srkruzich

Quote from: patyrn on October 05, 2010, 09:36:15 PM
I know everyone in the area is aware of the hazards of deer on the highways at this time of year, but stay alert.  My husband was driving to Howard this afternoon/early evening and hit and killed a deer near Arkansas City.  Thankfully Rodney is fine, and my car is drivable but pretty damaged on the front end.  It was at the edge of town, and he was only going 45 mph but he said it just happened so quickly and luckily bounced off onto the side of the road rather than over the hood.   Pretty scary........
Bummer on the car, i hope he brought the deer home for the freezer! :)
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

patyrn

No, he left it with the Cowley County authorities.  It wasn't really a high priority on his list at that time............

Diane Amberg

I'll bet it didn't go to waste. We have so many here now they are a real problem and a serious hazard. There is plenty of hunting but there are just too many for the herds to stay healthy. We need to import some more cougar.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on October 06, 2010, 02:03:04 PM
I'll bet it didn't go to waste. We have so many here now they are a real problem and a serious hazard. There is plenty of hunting but there are just too many for the herds to stay healthy. We need to import some more cougar.

Your kidding i hope.  The idiots of the DNR back in Georgia imported coyotes to handle herd control and now its inundated with coyotes.  Non native species with no natural enemy.  Shoot the dang things just to get rid of them.
The solution to the deer population is to open hunting season earlier, and extend it later into january and february.  then you increase the number of deer taken to however many would bring it down to a sustainable population.  They know how many they have available. 

Its called management which it seems that some states have no clue on how to do that. :(

One of the most poorly managed resource we have is fish.  They let anyone take whatever out of the water nowdays. 
Used to be when i was a kid a fish had to be at least 16" long based on type of fish.   

Diane Amberg

We already have cougar living on the deer, but not enough, we have coyote too.Our problem is having too many deer living in residential areas where it's not safe to hunt. We do have long seasons and antler less season and bow season too. Just too many, and some people will protest harvesting as it is. I guess they'd rather have them starve to death.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on October 06, 2010, 08:17:23 PM
We already have cougar living on the deer, but not enough, we have coyote too.Our problem is having too many deer living in residential areas where it's not safe to hunt. We do have long seasons and antler less season and bow season too. Just too many, and some people will protest harvesting as it is. I guess they'd rather have them starve to death.

LOL that really makes a whole lot of sense (NOT) to bring in predator animals like cougars and coyotes into residential neighborhoods.....  Sheesh...

Coyotes will attack children as well as small pets.  Cougars will do likewise.  Not to bright IMO.  I would rather have folks shooting the deer than i would predator animals outside of their natural environment.

frawin

Below is "Answers.coms" response as to Cougars in Delaware.

Yes. According to the Delaware Division of Fish & Wildlife, there are 2 or more free roaming cougars in Delaware. Thought to be animals of captive origin, the cougars have been sighted at places such as Alapocas Woods, White Clay Creek State Park, and the farmlands adjacent to Seaford.

srkruzich

Quote from: frawin on October 06, 2010, 08:42:19 PM
Below is "Answers.coms" response as to Cougars in Delaware.

Yes. According to the Delaware Division of Fish & Wildlife, there are 2 or more free roaming cougars in Delaware. Thought to be animals of captive origin, the cougars have been sighted at places such as Alapocas Woods, White Clay Creek State Park, and the farmlands adjacent to Seaford.

Wow 2 cougars huh. LOL... not like they will make much of a dent in the deer herd. 

Diane Amberg

That's two OR MORE to you wise ass. They don't know how many there are for sure and you know why. White Clay Creek Park is almost next door to me and the others are all the way down at the other end of the state.  Now stop trying to start an argument and go fuss with someone else. I was not making them up nor was I serious about importing anything. Good grief. They and the coyotes do as they please.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk