1953 Pictures - Bertie Wisner

Started by Mom70x7, October 05, 2010, 08:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

Bertie and Leslie Wisner - my grandparents - with the three oldest girls: Mary Kay, Martha Ellen, Deborah Jo. The date on the photo says Feb. 23, 1953. I was 2 years old then. Mary Kay was 5; Marty 3.

The other two pictures say Bertie, at the back of the Elk County Furniture Store - which is where my Grandpa Leslie worked and is now the Doll Museum.

sixdogsmom

Edie

patyrn

I remember them well.  My mom was good friends with Bertie--I think she sewed for her--and maybe they were involved with the WSCS at the Methodist Church together.   Their furniture store was a neat place, too.

frawin

Thanks for posting the pictures of your Grandparents, they bring back fond memories. Leslie and Bertie and my parents visited a lot, they were in the Masons and and Eastern Star together.

I have a neat story about Leslie: I was probably around 10 years old and my sisters Shirley and Myrna were around 11 and 12, we wanted to get our parents a floor lamp for Christmas and none of us had any money. We went to the furniture store and Leslie had a really nice floor lamp, we told him we sure would like to buy that for our parents for Christmas. Leslie said he would make us a deal, he would let us have the floor lamp and we could make payments on it. I probably made $2.00 a week working for my brother in the grocery store and my 2 sisters did babysitting and whatever they could do to earn a little money. The 3 of us went in to the furniture every week together and paid Leslie something probably a $1.00 each, I don't remember how much. After we paid that lamp off , Leslie told everyone in town about it, and everytime I saw Leslie he would always tell me how proud he was of us and how much he enjoyed seeing us keep our promise and make the payments. I know we all learned a great lesson from that. We were really proud of that Lamp.
I have said it many times "Howard was a great place to grow up in" and it was because of people like your Grandparents.
Frank Winn
I also delivered the paper to your GreatGrandmother Wisner, I think she lived on the same block as Leslie and Bertie, if memory me serves right it was on the SW corner of the block. To the corner West of Leslie, then South to the corner.
I notice that your Grandmother Bertie graduated from Howard High in the class of 1909.

Mom70x7

QuoteI also delivered the paper to your GreatGrandmother Wisner, I think she lived on the same block as Leslie and Bertie, if memory serves right it was on the SW corner of the block. To the corner West of Leslie, then South to the corner.

That would be my Grandma Dora - Lova Dora Wisner, right?

All three of us older girls have vague memories of visiting her, very happy memory feelings.

patyrn

I don't know what your great-grandma Wisner's given name was.  We just always called her Grandma Wisner.  I had never thought about her "real" name.  My parents had lived across the street south from her (where Butch Wyler later lived) years ago when my older sisters were young, long before I was born.

frawin

Quote from: Mom70x7 on October 06, 2010, 10:56:26 AM

All three of us older girls have vague memories of visiting her, very happy memory feelings.
Yes, according to the Cemetery records that would be her name. As I recall she was a really nice person, at least I don't have any memories of her getting after me about the paper delivery.

frawin

Quote from: Mom70x7 on October 06, 2010, 10:56:26 AM

In later years, Don and Leah Jackson bought and lived in your GreatGrandmother's house.

larryJ

I probably met your grandmother Bertie, I know I cetainly heard about her as she was my mother's first cousin.  So I am sure I probably met her sometime, maybe at one of the reunions.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Mom70x7

QuoteIn later years, Don and Leah Jackson bought and lived in your GreatGrandmother's house.

I thought Leah Jackson lived in a house between the two corners - that my grandparents lived on the northwest corner of that block and Grandma Dora lived on the southwest corner, and the Jacksons built in between the two of them.  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk