The Windsor Hotel, Howard, Kansas

Started by frawin, September 22, 2010, 12:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I came across the picture this morning while cutting out articles from old Courant Citizens. I remember old timers talking about a Hotel on the corner where the Funeral Home is now.

W. Gray

I wonder if the proprietor was an old coot?

I wonder if the beds had bed bugs? Those are supposed to be making a come back nowadays.

The story mentioned hand operated fans and I wondered what those might look liked but they must have been the hand held personal fans.

Rose Nix Leo, bless her heart, wrote that.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Bed bugs are definitely back, not sure about the old coots though, they may have never left.

frawin

Waldo, the best I can come up with is that Howard had at least 3 Hotels and one Motor Court, at different times.

W. Gray

Over the past few years, I have come across the names of these Howard hotels.

These three were in the same building or at the same location on Wabash, at about Tracy's Trends, that burned down:

Howard House, supposed to have been the first hotel in Howard City, Howard County, John Barrett and John Barnes or Burus, owners
McBee House, John McBee
Welbourn House, John McBee

These two are the same building on Wabash north of Cox Building that recently burned down:
Howard Hotel, Henry Pries
Prairie Heritage Hotel

Warner and Banyon owned hotel (actual name not found) but sold to A. B. Hicks, former editor of the Boston, Kansas, newspaper.

Peyton House, George Peyton

Boston Hotel, R. J. Edwards (moved lock stock and barrel from Boston, Kansas)

City Hotel, Hugg and Garner sold to C.H. Cannon

Commercial House, G.T. Sherman

Stroud Hotel, Stroud family, on Wabash at about the library, also burned down after new ownership.

Windsor Hotel on Washington Street. I show the owner as J. H. Cook whereas Rose Nix Leo had him as J. H. Coot in her article.

Mansion House

Phoenix Hotel, may have been located directly west of the courthouse on Pine.

Metropolitan Hotel, A.W. Steele

Ed Henry's motel

The Hotel de Horse livery stable was located next door to one of the above hotels.

I have a feeling there were more.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk