High School Football Stadium

Started by W. Gray, September 17, 2010, 09:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Good news for jobs.

Allen, Texas, population 45,000, has just broken ground for a $60 million dollar high school football stadium.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

Good news for jobs, but $60 million for a high school football stadium.  Is this only for one school?  Wow.  We could use about 3 million to build a new grade school.  Think they would share.  Maybe cut back on some stuff to give us the $3 million.

I'm glad there are going to be jobs, but $60 million.  Again I say, WOW!

larryJ

Janet, I am surprised that you, living so close to Texas, do not know that Texans and those from New Mexico take their high school football very seriously.  When I was growing up in a small town in New Mexico, there were two places you had to be during the week------------Church on Sunday and the football stadium on Friday night, or else.  That was the one night of the week that some burglars would have had a field day because everyone was at the game.  In Texas, football is king.

Larryj

HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

I'd love to know how many jobs will be produced, for how long and what the domino effect will be. They must have voted to raise their taxes to pay for it.

W. Gray

Citizens voted for the stadium as part of an over $200 million bond package.

The town has one high school with 5,000 students.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

5,000 students.  WOW!  No wonder they need a $60 million stadium.  Wonder if they will let some junior colleges use it on Saturday.

Larry - the only interest that I had in football growing up was making sure I was there to play in the band.  LOL  As for football now, I really don't like it.  It's like rodeos.  It bothers me when the potential is there to get hurt, so I usually don't go.  Now, give me a basketball game any day of the week.  Especially high school basketball. LOL

Ms Bear

Wonder how much they spent on their computer lab or science lab.

sixdogsmom

This school is in a suburb of Dallas, Texas. it is an indepentdent district, whatever that means in Texas. There are some very wealthy areas to the west and east of Dallas. We might envy their budget, but I would not trade a single trip on the highway for the trip I just made to Sedan  8) 8)
Edie

frawin

Football is King in Texas, there are several high school football stadiums in Texas that compare to the one proposed in Allen. While we were in Midland they built a football stadium comparable to the Allen stadium and then built a High School Basball stadium next to it. Odessa has a stadium that any small college would be proud to have. High School football games in Midland and Odessa are sold out every game and people still wanting more tickets.
Friday Night Lights is about West Texas football. Midland Lee  and Permian have probably won more 5A state Championships than any 5A school in Texas.
Below a pragraph from an article about Midland Lee and Odessa Permian football, we really enjoyed High School Football during our years in Midland.

Maybe the biggest reason the now-famous rivalry sits where it does is because of just how good these two teams were for a while. During a 21-year stretch from 1980 (the first year of 5A football) and 2000 (the last year either played in a state championship), the two schools combined for 10 state finals appearances (that's out of just 32 -- a 31% clip) and won seven of them. In '83, '84 and '85, at least one of the two was in a state final. Midland Lee won three straight titles from '98 to 2000. Those numbers don't even sound real

srkruzich

Quote from: Janet Harrington on September 17, 2010, 09:22:23 AM
Good news for jobs, but $60 million for a high school football stadium.  Is this only for one school?  Wow.  We could use about 3 million to build a new grade school.  Think they would share.  Maybe cut back on some stuff to give us the $3 million.

I'm glad there are going to be jobs, but $60 million.  Again I say, WOW!
Total waste of money to spend that much.  Bet ya that they didn't spend that on the school.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk