'Sustainable' Poverty: The Real Face of the Leftist Environmental Agenda

Started by redcliffsw, August 25, 2010, 08:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcliffsw

The U.N. and its team of environmental activists view U.S. property rights as a "difficulty."

'Sustainable' Poverty:  The Real Face of the Leftist Environmental Agenda
By John Griffing

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/08/sustainable_poverty_the_real_f.html

Diane Amberg

Diane Amberg

I don't remember any "leftist" or "rightist" groups warning against sprawl etc, in the 70's. The big deal then was the oil embargo and the difficulty in getting gas. Perhaps near the biggest cities, but the only thing I remember was the finalizing of some local zoning  in the comprehensive development plan to be sure heavy industry would still be able to grow in the areas set aside for it with infrastructure in place with ports, rail etc. Same with shopping centers. Builders were building them here as fast as they could and when they were suddenly failing, people complained that the county let it happen. Sorry folks, good zoning doesn't guarantee business success. Up to a point you can do what you want on your own property, but you also have the right to fail. That leaves behind derelict buildings and the chance for general decay. As you all know, certain things have to have enough critical mass or it cannot succeed. Your own rural water is a good example. Not enough meters, they won't the risk to lay the pipe. Politics? I don't think so.
  Women were demanding the right to work in non"pink collar" jobs in the 70's and well through the 80's because they wanted to help increase the quality of life for their families. The rest didn't happen until the 80's and couldn't be pinned on any one group. The US had and has the cheapest food in the world I think. Then and in the lower two counties and once it's gone, as I'm sure you know, it's gone. Builders were buying up farmland, the farmers last crop, and building houses at a huge rate. Here there was no political plot. It happened because it could. Now those same people are squawking because their tile fields are failing and they "can't afford" to pay for sewer to run way out where they are and  "they" should do something about it. There are some good points in the article, but I don't know how the writer is making connections between things that weren't connected. He doesn't speak for everywhere, like Howard which I'm sure would love some growth. Wouldn't you love be to have to worry about sprawl?

Roma Jean Turner

I don't know how the folks in Howard feel about sprawl but I have had about all the sprawl I can stand and can't wait to get moved to Moline to get away from it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk