Unregistered vehicles/abandoned

Started by David, August 13, 2010, 07:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

mtcookson

Wow... I never thought I'd read some of the stuff I've seen in this thread from a local forum. Definitely some very uncalled for posts in here. :o

Anyway... I think what the city is doing is some BS. Buuuut... what do I know? I just like my cars is all. If it wasn't for the politicians ruining our economy further and further, I would have the money to fix my cars up like I want to. Some of the cars I have were purchased for making money off of but apparently the city doesn't care. There goes more of my hard earned money. :(

Diane Amberg

Can't you all find or start someplace out on the edge of town where you could legally store all the junk cars and the like where you don't have close neighbors? We don't allow "outdoor " storage here either for old vehicles, campers, trailers, boats or the like, but there are storage yards and storage buildings where people can store things like that. It would have to be cheaper than paying a fine.

Varmit

You know it would be one thing if this were happening in witchita or topkea or some other big city, but this in howard.  Small town Elk county, where alot of folks choose to live in order to get away from all the BS and infringment on private property rights.  Now, if the city wants to have an "eyesore" ordiance then fine, but enforce it across the board, and that means city/county property also.  Frankly, I think that type of ordinance is wrong, but that is just my 2 cents.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 17, 2010, 02:47:46 PM
Can't you all find or start someplace out on the edge of town where you could legally store all the junk cars and the like where you don't have close neighbors? We don't allow "outdoor " storage here either for old vehicles, campers, trailers, boats or the like, but there are storage yards and storage buildings where people can store things like that. It would have to be cheaper than paying a fine.
Diane its the principle of the thing.  IF I own property, then i'll be damned if i have to go rent a storage area to store my stuff.  Thats pure BULLS***.   One thing i am hoping to do is get my dads camaro that we restored back here. That car will never be registered again as it doesn't roll on the road. its a show car.  It will be towed on a trailer.  so no reason to register it.

So no one can come along and tell me its a junk car, and there is no need for registration. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: Varmit on August 17, 2010, 02:57:48 PM
You know it would be one thing if this were happening in witchita or topkea or some other big city, but this in howard.  Small town Elk county, where alot of folks choose to live in order to get away from all the BS and infringment on private property rights.  Now, if the city wants to have an "eyesore" ordiance then fine, but enforce it across the board, and that means city/county property also.  Frankly, I think that type of ordinance is wrong, but that is just my 2 cents.
They couldn't get it enforced county wide.  Can you imagine the fubar that would happen.  They would declare sheds as eyesores, rotted fenceposts, ect....
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

Doesn't that kind of thing affect your property values? I'd hate to be a real estate agent trying to sell a house with a bunch of dead cars and 10 foot weeds next door.
  If the places here start showing signs of disrepair or weeds etc. someone will check to see if someone is ill or has been hurt. If that is the case we get together and help out until they are back on their feet. Our service organizations also will make simple repairs such as torn screens, broken windows, loose steps etc.,especially for our elderly. Perhaps you could get together and work on such a project?  Perhaps help cut each others weeds and at least straighten up some of the eyesores?  Would covering the vehicles with tarps make them look more like "projects" and less like eyesores? People used to help each other bring their crops in, can't you all get together on something like this? I grew up out in the country with nobody nearby so we also had the privilege putting "stuff" behind the barn and the chicken house. That just does not translate well into town living where you have blocks, not acres or sections to put stuff on that is either hidden or so far away you don't notice it. I do hope you can work this out.

Mom70x7

Diane -

I think it's not really that big of a deal - that a mountain is being made out of a mole hill.

There are some  properties with junk vehicles on them - and at times ours has been one of them. The majority of the properties are around town and pretty much out of sight. We have a couple on the highway - but at least one of them has been there for years.

When driving around Howard, it's basically a pretty town. The county yard does have a lot of dead vehicles, but then again it's not on a main thoroughfare. (Howard doesn't have that many main thoroughfares anyhow -  ;).)

I know a couple of people that have been cited for unsightly property and the cars were on the rolls as personal property.

greatguns

Latham, Kansas with a population of 200 has a city ordinance against abandon vehichles( not tagged or in running condition).  And certainly did help the looks of the town.

Diane Amberg

Mom, I hoped that was the case. When we were in Howard in 2008 we drove every street in town because I had forgotten my Grandmothers house address and we were hunting for it and touring around and I don't remember it being bad at all. Of course as Great says any town is going to look better without dead vehicles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk