What Handouts To Cut

Started by redcliffsw, August 11, 2010, 09:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Wilma, now I'm confused and I'll have to check. I think that if something happened to Al, I'd get a survivors check but I don't think it would be the same as what he would have been getting. Plus I'd still get a small check on my own record. Maybe it's changed since we're younger? I took mine early since I don't need it to live on and have saved it all. Did you know that when I reach 66, my full payment age, I could give it all back, keep the interest I made from it and start over with a bigger check? That's something most people don't know about.

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on August 15, 2010, 10:45:27 AMToday, Mother has to work as well and there is no one at home to care for poor old Grandma.  Poor old Grandma has Alzheimer's and doesn't even know who she is, let alone why she shouldn't walk down the middle of the road in heavy traffic.
Quite frankly if i get in that condition, i'll put a bullet in my head before i'll burden my kids with that or get stuck in a old folks home. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

sixdogsmom

The sad thing about Altzheimers Steve, is that you do not realize the condition that you are in.
Edie

Varmit

Wilma, the other "taxes" you mentioned I can see a reason for, and yes congress does have the power to lay and collect taxes.  However, the gov't trying to provide insurance against poverty is lunacy.  The time of family taking care of family is most definately NOT gone.  Maybe in your family, not mine, nor will it ever be.  If, God forbid, my parents develop oldtimers, then we will make whatever sacrifices needed to care for them.  You want insurance against poverty, plan for it.  You want SS, fine, then only collect what you pay in and not a penny more.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

srkruzich

Quote from: sixdogsmom on August 15, 2010, 01:20:49 PM
The sad thing about Altzheimers Steve, is that you do not realize the condition that you are in.
well i know enough alzheimer patients, they don't lose it all at once. :) 

Diane Amberg

Steve, I wish you wouldn't talk that way without involving your sons in the conversation. I'm sure they would be horrified to think you don't believe they could or would or should care for you someday. Besides, you'd come with income. When we bought this house I told my parents one of the reasons we chose this one was because it has four bedrooms and plenty of room on the rear to build a "mother in law suite" if needed. Mom didn't live to come here but Daddy did. It kept me busy, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. He was in reasonably good health right until the end, and loved being here because we have nice neighbors and the store and barber are only a few blocks away. Unfortunately, there is no next generation to take care of me, so it won't end as well when it's my turn.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 15, 2010, 05:08:24 PM
Steve, I wish you wouldn't talk that way without involving your sons in the conversation. I'm sure they would be horrified to think you don't believe they could or would or should care for you someday. Besides, you'd come with income. When we bought this house I told my parents one of the reasons we chose this one was because it has four bedrooms and plenty of room on the rear to build a "mother in law suite" if needed. Mom didn't live to come here but Daddy did. It kept me busy, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. He was in reasonably good health right until the end, and loved being here because we have nice neighbors and the store and barber are only a few blocks away. Unfortunately, there is no next generation to take care of me, so it won't end as well when it's my turn.

I don't think i'll get it, its usually from what i understand a genetic issue mostly.  None of my grandparents or older folks did have it. Everyone died with a sharp mind.  Most likely i'll die of a heart attack long before alzheimers gets me.  who knows.

But even if.... the point is not to saddle them with my care, nor watch me waste away.  I've been through waiting on someone to die with cancer, and other diseases that waste the body.  wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Diane Amberg

I've been there too Steve, and it is hard, but I felt I was called to help make their journey as easy as possible for as much time as they wanted and when it came time for it, hospice was wonderful.

Wilma

My mother had Alzheimer's.  I cared for her as long as I was physically able.  By that time she didn't know who she was, who I was or where she was.  By that time she didn't care where she was, so I gave her the best alternative possible.  Howard Twilight Manor.  She lived there seven years, not knowing me or her other children, she thought the staff and other residents were her brothers and sisters.  There was no point in trying to keep her in anyone's home as it made no difference to her and a lot of difference to the people who still had lives to live.  During the time she was with me, I stayed home with her all the time except for a few hours each week.  It was impossible to take her anywhere as she needed constant surveilance and it didn't mean anything to her anyway.  She couldn't walk good and hated wheel chairs.  If we took her in a wheel chair she was very unhappy.  Unless you have lived the life of a caretaker for an Alzheimer's patient, you have no idea of what it is like.  Diane is right.  An Alzhiemer's patient doesn't realize what is happening until it is too late and there is nothing that can be done anyway.  If you are going to have Alzheimer's, you have Alzheimer's.  There is no stopping it.  By the time anyone realizes that there is a problem, the patient is too far gone to make any decisions about themselves.  From the experience that I have had, I can say that none of the patients that I have known would have wanted to be the way they were, but they weren't aware that there was anything wrong.  They weren't aware of anything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk