Johnson grass

Started by Janet Harrington, August 05, 2010, 03:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatguns

Wilma

I bought this place in April before the Johnson grass was showing up.  I was surprised to find Johnson grass on the east side of the house because I am sure Millie wouldn't have let it stay there.  I got rid of that by spraying as soon as it was big enough, then spraying again when it showed enough regrowth.  You can't get rid of it by spraying once a year after it goes to seed.  Johnson grass is a noxious weed.  Why should the county allow it to grow on property that it is responsible for?  For that matter, why doesn't the county mow outside it's fences?  Does the county mow anything inside the fences?  I take that one back.  It is hard to get a mower around everything that has to be stored there.  The county sprays the road sides, doesn't it?  Would it take that much more to spray the grass and weeds inside it's fences?

frawin

Wilma, they aren't spraying very many roads in Elk County.  I realize that Roundup Spray is expensive, but the intersections are grown up and are very dangerous in places.  Some of the roads have weeds growing up on both sides of the roads, until it is almost one lane.  Most of the roads I am speaking of are mail routes and school buses routes.  I know when we go to Mother's it really upsets me to see how things are.  She is 92 and mows all along the road in front of her place, so it looks good.  Dad fought Johnson Grass and bindweed faithfully as long as he was alive and able.  She fights it as much as she can, just like you do.
I'm not wanting to start a fight, as I know the county as monetary problems, but the intersections are dangerous when they are so grown up.  It makes me sad to see the weeds and Johnson Grass encroaching everywhere.
Myrna

flo

something I learned during my years of employment at the Severy Co-op.  Roundup is a "contact" killer.  It does not kill the roots.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Wilma

The Roundup today kills the roots.  It is systemic.  Enters through the leaves and goes to the roots.  The leaves don't show dying until the roots start to die.  I killed a patch of Johnson grass on the east side of the house after I moved here and Roundup is the only thing I use.  I use it on poison ivy, too.  Takes more than one spraying unless it is a new plant.  I did some spraying this morning of crab grass and bermuda grass that is too close to where I don't want it.  In a few days it will begin to die.  I also sprayed some seedling trees, just to see what the Roundup would do.

Teresa

Quote from: the shadow on August 09, 2010, 05:36:37 AM
Next thing someone will be bitching about the smell of hog shit outside of town.

uhmmmm .. in the spring and fall after a wonderful rain and the air is fresh and I want my windows open all the time?...but can't.. cause the whole town smells like hog shit?
Yep.. that would be me who you'll hear bitching..  :) Sorry... its just not my favorite air freshener... ;)..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

I have to report this.  This morning the road guys sprayed the grass and weeds in the county road yard.  Not only that, but they chose a day that is absolutely quiet so that the spray wouldn't be carried and they sprayed from outside the fence so that the overspray went into the yard instead of out across the road to the neighbor's yards.  Thank you, guys.  Now if you could just do this before the Johnson grass goes to seed, we would all benefit.  Maybe, eventually, there would be no Johnson grass in the neighborhood.

Janet Harrington

In regards to the johnson grass growing up and making blind intersections...this as been a problem for many, many years.  I always worried about it on the school bus routes, but I don't know that the school bus drivers think it is a problem as they sit so high up.  It is a problem for small cars for sure.  You just have to be a defensive driver and be careful.  I don't know what the county does for mowing these days.  They may not do it anymore because of money.  Since I'm not out on the county roads I don't know what goes on.

Since Shadow hides behind an alias on the forum, he/she is no longer worth my time for debating. Non-existent as far as I am concerned.

L Hendricks

Wilma and all neighbors of the county yard,
The county commissioners would like to apologize for the profanity left in the ditch facing Wilma's yard.  We do not have any idea who did this but would like to say we are sorry for the harm this has caused.  If the sprayer is discovered, he or she will be punished.  Again, please accept our apology.

jarhead

Teresa,
If I had to bet I'd say instead of Jade East and Brute you prefer the smell of Composition B from a grenade or burnt gun powder !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk