Previous topic - Next topic

ddurbin

From    THE MOLINE REVIEW    July 6, 1900

HOMES WANTED FOR CHILDREN

A Company of Orphan Boys 8 to 16
Years of Age will Arrive at
Moline on Friday,
July 13th

The object of the coming of these boys is to find homes in your midst, where they may enjoy a happy and wholesome family life; where kind care, good example and moral training will fit them for a life of self-support and usefulness.

The come under the auspices of the Children's Aid Society of New York, by whom they have been found to be willing and well-meaning boys.

The conditions are that all shall be properly clothed and treated as members of the family; those under 15 years to be sent to school and to remain in the family until they are 18; those over 15 to remain until they are 17; those over 16 to remain one year.  At the expiration of the time specified, it is hoped that an arrangement will be made with the boy whereby he will remain in the family indefinitely.

The Society reserves the right to remove a child at any time for just cause, and agrees to remove any found to be unsatisfactory after being notified.

Application must be made in advance to some member of the following named committee:
   Messrs. H. R. Ellsworth, J. J. Webb, J. R. Gill and G. W. Rettig

The distribution will take place at the city hall, at 11 a.m., Friday, July 13

Robert N. Brace,   
                     Agent.

From THE MOLINE REVIEW   July 20, 1900
WHERE THEY ARE

Many of our readers may be interested in knowing where "the boys" secured homes, and we give below the names and homes which were kindly handed us by agent Mr. R. N. Brace:
Name of boy            Home         P.O.
Robert Leonhart                         Fred Sheel         Moline
Fred Holdman            W. C. Ransom      Moline
Harry Posner            J. H. Glasscock      Moline
John Gotterup            Edward Adams      Moline
Sherwood Wood                         John A. Cumby      Moline
Percy Wood            W. O. Wood      Moline
John Flanagan            Mrs. Fred Miller      Moline
Fred Lantenberger                         F. H. Barrington           SpringCreek
Roosa E. Rapelyea                         Frank Sheel         Moline
Eric L. Wytzka                        Mrs. Sarah Hubbard      Moline
Clifford Wood            O. G. Sellers                  Grenola

genealogynut

This is an interesting topic.  I've read a little about the orphan trains, and how some of the children were taken in for "cheap labor" and were mistreated.  But Don and I were not aware of the orphan train coming to Moline or any other part of the county.  It makes me want to keep digging deeper into the Elk Cuonty history.  Thanks for sharing your research!

Janet Harrington

There was one boy from the orphan train that was raised in the Howard area.  I know that they called him Cap, but I cannot remember his last name.

ddurbin

Howard also had an 'Orphan Train', a year before the one at Moline.

from THE MOLINE REVIEW   July 14, 1899

Homes Wanted for Orphan Boys
We are in receipt of a circular from Bro. Thompson of the Courant, who is on the committee to find homes for orphan boys.  The boys are from ten to fifteen years of age, strong and well.

They come from New York and by the aid of the "Children's Aid Society" of that place, assisted by a committee of Elk county citizens they hope to find homes among our people.  Those interested should see or write Thos. E. Thompson at Howard.

Boys will be in Howard, Friday, July 21st.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk