PATRIOTS SHUT DOWN LYNDON 28-0

Started by Janet Harrington, October 04, 2006, 11:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Patriots shut down Lyndon for first league win of season
[/b]

HOWARD - Early in the 2006 season, the West Elk High School football had to battle its way through injury after injury.  Now the Patriots are starting to get healed up just in time to make a late-season run.

WEHS captured its first Lyon County league victory of the season Friday night as it shut down visiting Lyndon, 28-0.

The win moved the Patriots to 2-3 overall and 1-1 in the LCL heading into Friday's league contest at Chase County- a 41-14 loser to Oxford

"I couldn't be prouder of a group of guys," said West Elk football coach Chris Haag.  "Going in, we knew what we were capable of as a team.  This is a giant step toward where we want to be.  I don't know if these guys could have played any harder than they did for 48 minutes.  I'm really proud of the effort they gave.

"Lyndon is a good team, but going in, we were looking back at the Olpe game and the first 10 minutes of the game.  We knew that if we could cut down on our mistakes, we're going to be right there in ball games.  We got back to basics because we knew we were better than the 103 record we had.  We're not there yet, but we're making progress.  These guys never let up at all."

West Elk wasted little time jumping ahead on Friday.  On the first play from scrimmage, quarterback CJ Madison hooked up with Ace Lee on a 60-yeard touchdonw pass.  That was also the combination on the two-point conversion as the Patriots quickly took an 8-0 advantage.

Later in the first quarter, Brett Koop, who was returning from an injury, scored on a 20-yard run, and Colby Linder followed with the run for two points.

The Patriots maintained that 16-0 lead throughout the rest of the first half.  In fact, it wasn't until the fourth period when they could finally deliver the knockout punch.

Madison and Lee hooked up once again on a 19-yard touchdown pass early and later added a 27-yard strike between the pair to cap off the Patriot scoring for the evening.

Meanwhile, the Patriots racked up an impressive 331 yards of offense.  madison completed 7-of-20 passes for 206 yards and three touchdowns-all three scores going to Lee, who finished with five catches for 191 yards.  Also, WEHS had 125 yards rushing on 37 carries, including a team-high 93 yards from Linder on 18 attempts.

West Elk 28, Lyndon 0

LHS                               WEHS
First Downs                                    3                                      9
Rushes-Yards                            34-32                              37-125
Passing Yards                                13                                   206
Total Yards                                   45                                   331
Pass Com-Att-Int                       2-9-4                                7-20-1
Punts-Avg.                              7-32.5                               2-39.0
Fumbles-Lost                               3-3                                    4-3
Penalties-Yards                           5-60                                  8-65
LYNDON                           0      0     0                             0 -- 0
WEST ELK                       16     0     0                            12 -- 28

SCORING

WEHS - A. Lee 60 pass from Madison
(A. Lee pass from Madison)
WEHS - Koop 20 run (Linder run)
WEHS - A. Lee 19 pass from Madison
(Run failed)
WEHS - A. Lee 27 pass from Madison
(Kick failed)

Taken from the Independence Daily Reporter, Sunday, October 1, 2006 Page B-4

Wilma

That's what I have been wanting.  If this is in the paper on Sunday after the game, maybe it could be posted some time on Sunday for us people that can't get to the games.  I would also like to see a West Elk schedule.  I can't find one anywhere that is available to me.  If there is one in the Flint Hills Express, I am overlooking it and if there is one on the West Elk web page, I can't find it.

Janet Harrington

Well, I know there isn't one in the paper and I'm pretty sure there isn't one on the West Elk page, but I think I have one on my fridge, so I'll see what I can do.  I can do the news on Sunday if it is in the Independence paper and I can remember to do it.

Teresa

You are SUCH a good daughter... :)

Thank you very much for taking the time and making the effort to do all of this Janet. :-*

I want everyone who reads this to take notice that I was NICE and I said somethign NICE to Ta Ta...
Did  everyone see this?? :angel:
Just so when... later on... she is mean to me about something, you all will know that I was nice..
;)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk