Highway 400 markings

Started by D Whetstone, August 18, 2009, 07:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

From good sources, you are much safer doing 35 through Leon and avoid a ticket!  ;D
Edie

greatguns

45 when light is flashing.  I'm not real sure that the city of Leon has jursidiction on the highway anymore.  I heard a rumor that the state was taking it back over and I haven't seen Leon's finest out there for quite awhile.  You certainly didn't use to drive it 5 days a week and not see them in 3 weeks time.

Wilma

Daughter and I are familiar with Highway 400 from Beaumont to Leon.  I wondered why she drove it so cautiously until one day I found out.  I was wondering when she was going to pass the car in front of us when suddenly, up out of a little dip, there came a car too close to even make an attempt to pass.  I had seen no part of that car until it suddenly appeared.  IMHO 400 between 99 and the four lane east of Augusta should be four lanes.  And just so people east of 99 wouldn't feel left out, make it four lanes all the way to the Missouri border.

Tobina+1

I agree that this stretch of road is not very well marked for passing/no-passing.  In fact, very little of that area is marked for no-passing, when I think there should be a LOT more!  This is a very high-traffic stretch of road and people don't use much caution when passing.  The rumble strips in the middle of the road only help sleepy people from crossing over, and don't help those who do want to pass and don't use common sense.

There are the passing lanes in a couple areas, but I think they should put one between Beaumont and Leon and then make that section less of a free-for-all passing zone.

Dee Gee

That stretch of 400 and the one between Severy and Fall River was not designed as good as it could have been if the designers had just cut off more of the little hill and filled in the the valleys a little the sight distance would have been greatly improved with very little additional cost to building the road.  The designers did a better job in designing the highway 99 North of Howard.  Of course these roads was originally designed under the old speed limit of 55 which calls for less of sight distance than the current 65 speed limit does.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Mom70x7

Drove through Leon today - the 45-mph school markings and signs are now up. They're similar to what is here in Howard.

BUT . . .

they've extended the 50 mph zone west of Leon. Used to be as soon as you passed the school intersection, the speed went back up to 65 mph. Not true now. It's still 50 mph for another 1/4 mile, then it bumps up to 65 mph.

greatguns

That's right,    But you didn't see any city cops out there, did you?

Mom70x7

No patrol of any kind. I was through there about 3:15 pm - didn't pay attention to the time, but got to Howard a little before 4 pm.

D Whetstone

I went through Leon today at 12:30 p.m. on my way home. Leon city officer sitting at west end. I think they ARE still patrolling.

greatguns

Maybe so.  Maybe they have just been on vacation. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk