Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway

Started by W. Gray, August 29, 2009, 10:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Jarhead, thanks alot, I will look in the Elk County History Book. The house where the Pottery place is in Elk Falls was my Great Aunt's house and was moved from uptown to where it is now.

Myrna

Diane Amberg

Did the pottery shop ever get moved? When we were there they were about to move up across the highway somewhere..I forget just where. That was your Great Aunt's house?  Neat!

frawin

The house south of the "old Main Street"  (Old Highway 160)0 where the Fry's lived and the shop was just to the east of the house was my Great Aunt's house.  They  (Fry's) had purchased Maude Frakes' old home and were refurbishing it.  They now live there, I believe, but I do not know if the shop has been moved to the other location.  Mrs. Frankes' is on the north side of (new) Highway 160 just at the edge of town. 
Myrna

flintauqua

For those who would like an update from the Fry's

http://www.elkfallspottery.com/

Steve has a blog on there and just a couple of weeks ago gave an update on progress at the Frakes place.

Diane Amberg

Thanks! So they have not moved yet. I found them both to be delightful. We talked for a long time because we were the only visitors. They were interested in Mom, who used the clay from North East Kansas that Daddy dug for her pottery works in the 30's. World War II ended that. I brought home a cute little bowl, one of Steve's  long woven baskets, one of Jane's little sunflower pins and a bird house. I'm glad to know they are doing well.

W. Gray

From the Sedan Graphic of February 10, 1886, quoting the Howard Democrat:

"There seems to be but little doubt that the Santa Fe Co., will extend the railroad from this place [Howard] to some point on the Kansas Southern, [Independence through Oak Valley, Longton, Elk Falls, Moline, and Grenola], but just where they will strike that road, is to some extent a matter of doubt. Both Moline and Grenola are making every possible effort to secure the extension. The railroad company will probably survey both routes and then build on the line that, all things considered, will pay them the best. Our people here, are somewhat divided as to which point they would rather the road struck, but the large majority prefer Grenola as it is farther from Howard and would probably hurt our trade less. Others think that if the road goes to Moline it will be extended south and in that event would not build up Moline so much as to render it a dangerous rival. However it is not in any sense of the word a Howard fight as we are utterly unable to dictate to the road where it shall go or when it shall go, and it will be time enough to consider the evils of this line or that line, when the company makes definite preparations."

Santa Fe went into Moline before the year was out and never made it to Sedan. Sedan already had railroad service from the Denver, Memphis, and Atlantic, which was later taken over by the Missouri Pacific RR.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jo McDonald

I am replying to Diane's post about Steve and Jan Fry -- Yes, Diane, they have moved to their home on the north side of Highway 160 at Elk falls.  Their previous residence was across the street from Fred's parents home.  They ( Fred's parents)  lived there from 1947 until 1969.  When Steve and Jane moved there Dad and Mom McD.  thoroughly enjoyed them as neighbors.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

W. Gray

Anyone:

Is it safe to say that the only business on the Elk Falls Main Street is the post office?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

I think so Waldo.  There is a pretty painted outhouse sitting on main street and I have no idea what goes on in there---and don't wanna know. I have tried to post that old picture of Elk Falls main street but failed. either I have to break down and beg Teresa to do it or send it to Sarge---but he aint a whole lot smarter than me. Maybe I could just send it to your e-mail address ??

W. Gray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk