If Ever the Truth WAS Spoken, this is IT!

Started by Warph, July 06, 2009, 02:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

John Swinton, former chief of staff, New York Times, when called upon to give a toast before the New York Press Club (1953) said this:

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know it would never appear in print.

I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out in the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before 24 hours my occupation would be gone.

The business of the journalist is to destroy the truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to vilify; to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread.

You know it and I know it, so what folly is this toasting an independent press. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings, we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes"

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

indygal

With all due respect to Mr. Swinton, as I certainly can't hold a journalistic candle to the New York Times, however ....

It's been my understanding that the duty of the press was to report news, to inform the public what is happening in their community and world; and to serve as a source of public record (births, deaths, marriages, etc.)

There is normally a page or two or more (depending on the size of the paper) devoted to opinion, and more often than not, the opinions reflect those of the publisher, not necessarily the editorial staff). Oftentimes, the publisher becomes the mouthpiece of the advertisers, for it is they who pay the wages and keep newspapers (and other media) in business. Not the politicians nor the government, per se.....And I'm referring to large corporate entities, not the local dry cleaner or restaurant or dentist who lives down the street. Think WalMart, Target, Ford, Time-Warner, YUM, and the conglomerates where board members of one are likely to sit on several of the others.

What I see happening is a blurring of journalism and advertising (opinion) that makes it difficult for the public to discern one from the other. Opinions are being touted as fact, and facts as opinion.  At the root of all things lies the truth, but who has time to dig to the roots? That's what journalism's duty was and should be, and it's sadly not the case.

Why would, as Mr. Swinton state, that the journalist's job is to destroy truth, to lie outright, to pervert or villify? It's a dance between integrity and survival, just as it is with many other jobs these days. I still believe it's rare for anyone devoted to reporting to destroy the truth or lie outright, but I know it happens. The newspaper/advertiser symbiosis is simply more "in your face" because of the technology, and everyone knows shock sells. Scandal sells. Deviation sells.  But I digress...

If Mr. Swinton truly believes the press has become the property of others, look to the advertisers and their policies and not so much the government.

Diane Amberg

It's always been that way.That's why there were often different papers representing different viewpoints in the same town. It wasn't all just reporting the fires and accidents, obituaries and who was visiting who ( and the comics and crossword puzzles) opinions mattered too, and ya better not torque off your advertisers or they'd pull their ads.

Wilma

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to pick up a newspaper and know that every word you read in it was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  Oh, well, I am a natural dreamer that expects the world to be perfect in spite of the fact that it is populated by imperfect humans.

Catwoman

What I would like to see is a news rag that reported GOOD news...Exclusively.  Yes, I would hop on the Internet to see whether or not the world had finally blown itself into oblivion...Maybe twice a week...But I'd sure like to see a newspaper that had good news from all over the world...Oh...And, as long as we're at it...Put in lots of coupons, please, so that I can still afford to buy that newspaper...It is getting ridiculously expensive to have a newspaper subscription.

Tobina+1

I agree that no matter how factual the article seems, the writer can always interject their own opinions in the writing...

Exhibit A:  "The disheveled President exited the plane.  Casually, he threw a few waves to the awaiting crowd."
Exhibit B:  "The President, tired but confident from his travels, exited the plane.  Despite the late hour, he still took time to wave and greet the crowd."

It comes from the fact that our attention span is so short these days, that it's only in the descriptive writing of the author that gets, and keeps, our attention.  So, depending on how the author views the subject is how his/her opinons will show through in the writing. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk