Question for teachers

Started by Sarah, June 25, 2009, 10:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah

Back when I was in school, and maybe they still use them, but we had these notebook size cards that were kept in a box and were sorted by color.  They had short stories on the cards with comprehension questions at the end.  We use to have to do a card or two a week or so.  Do any of you remember what those cards were called? 
Thanks

Also, what book club did they use to use back in the late 70's and 80's to order books from through the school?  Was that Scholastic?

Tobina+1

I'm not a teacher, but as a child in school in the 80's, I remember that we received a book order magazine about once a month to order books out of.  And I believe it was Scholastic.

I think it's Scholastic also has a warehouse in Kansas City (actually, Overland Park), where they have a book sale every year.  I'll have to ask my aunt when (fall or spring), but they have all sorts of books for CHEAP!  Worth the drive up there if you're in the market for books, that's for sure!

Catwoman

Scholastic puts out book order sheets for the kids throughout the school year.  The story starter cards (or whay tever they were called at the time) still exist but in different forms.  All you have to do is get ahold of a Lakeshore catalog, a catalog from The Apple Tree (located in Tulsa), or any educational supply catalog and look under the Reading section...You'll not only find those cards but a whole host of opportunities for developing writing and reading skills.

dnalexander

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 25, 2009, 05:14:12 PM
Sarah, I think you are remembering the SRA boxes. They had colored tabs that equaled the difficulty of the story. There were follow up questions on reading skills and comprehension. When I was still actively teaching elementary, we had several book clubs going each month. The little paper backs were only between 35 and 50 cents each. There was Scholastic, Lucky and a couple of others.I was also able to get free books for the classroom library too.

Diane thank you I have been racking my brain trying to remember SRA reading lab.

Sarah here is the link to the SRA website.

http://www.srareadinglabs.com/pages/home.php.

David

Sarah

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk