Non pointy knives...

Started by Teresa, June 15, 2009, 10:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6501720.ece
QuoteThe first "anti-stab" knife is to go on sale in Britain, designed to work as normal in the kitchen but to be ineffective as a weapon.

The knife has a rounded edge instead of a point and will snag on clothing and skin to make it more difficult to stab someone.

It was invented by industrial designer John Cornock, who was inspired by a documentary in which doctors advocated banning traditional knives.

Mr Cornock, 42, from Swindon, said that the knife will cut vegetables, but will make it almost impossible to stab someone to death and will reduce the risk of accidental injuries.

He said: "It can never be a totally safe knife, but the idea is you can't inflict a fatal wound. Nobody could just grab one out of the kitchen drawer and kill someone."

The knife is expected to sell for around £40-50 and has been tested with "very favourable" results by the Home Office's Design and Technology Alliance - set up to research products that can deter crime.

"Almost impossible to stab someone to death." But just as effective for cutting their throat and killing them anyway.
Now if we could only come up with "anti-gun shot wound" firearms the world would be the warm & fuzzy utopia we all knew it could be....... except, I guess, for that whole pistol whipping thing  :-\
oh yeah...That little hook makes it look real nice for the initial cut for gutting! :P
Give someone 5 minutes with a grinding wheel and it'll be back in business 
Are they really that stupid ? Oh, I forgot.......... they are. ::)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Tobina+1

Hey, this is actually a really cool invention... but NOT for the reason they state ("anti-stab").  That type of knife would be really handy to have around the kitchen... if you drop it, it won't ding your floor (or your toes), when you reach in the knife drawer you won't stick your hand, etc. 
How often are kitchen knives used in killings, anyway?  Maybe a few home-invasion ones, but then those are mostly self-defense (done by the home-owner).  That's a pretty dumb excuse to come up with such a cool knife.

mtcookson

The majority of crimes with knives are done with kitchen knives, oddly enough.

The administration of "The One" is wanting to basically make illegal all folding knives. Any knife that can be opened with one hand they are wanting to make illegal to import and would therefore make them illegal to posses. The majority of folding knives can be opened with one hand, usually with a movement of the thumb and a flick of the wrist.

I've actually "played" with actual "switch blade" knives and they are one of the handiest knives I've ever "played" with, a lot safer than most legal folding knives I've had. A switchblade would be very handy when I work on my cars and my hands are usually covered in oil and I'm often working in cramped positions so being able to easily open and close a knife with one hand would be indispensable. I've had standard folding knives collapse on my fingers when trying to poke through stuff, which wouldn't be the case with the switch blade I "played" with. It makes me sick that they are illegal when they offer no advantage over any other knife when it comes to harming someone. If I wanted to harm someone I wouldn't screw around with a folding knife or a switchblade... i would go strait to the fixed blade and probably something to the effect of a kukri to cause some major damage... like the complete removal of limbs for instance. :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk