The Emergence of President Obama's Muslim Roots

Started by Teresa, June 03, 2009, 12:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

June 02, 2009 6:58 PM

ABC News' Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller report: The other day we heard a comment from a White House aide that never would have been uttered during the primaries or general election campaign.

During a conference call in preparation for President Obama's trip to Cairo, Egypt, where he will address the Muslim world, deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications Denis McDonough said "the President himself experienced Islam on three continents before he was able to -- or before he's been able to visit, really, the heart of the Islamic world -- you know, growing up in Indonesia, having a Muslim father -- obviously Muslim Americans (are) a key part of Illinois and Chicago."

Given widespread unease and prejudice against Muslims among Americans, especially in the wake of 9/11, the Obama campaign was perhaps understandably very sensitive during the primaries and general election to downplay the candidate's Muslim roots.

The candidate was even offended when referred to by his initials "BHO," because he considered the use of his middle name, "Hussein," an attempt to frighten voters.

With insane rumors suggesting he was some sort of Muslim Manchurian candidate, then-Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and his campaign did everything they could to emphasize his Christianity and de-emphasize the fact that his father, Barack Obama Sr., was born Muslim.

The candidate's comment at a Boca Raton, Florida, town hall meeting on May 22, 2008, was typical: "My father was basically agnostic, as far as I can tell, and I didn't know him," he said.

In September 2008, candidate Obama told a Pennsylvania crowd, "I know that I'm not your typical presidential candidate and I just want to be honest with you. I know that the temptation is to say, 'You know what? The guy hasn't been there that long in Washington. You know, he's got a funny name. You know, we're not sure about him.' And that's what the Republicans when they say this isn't about issues, it's about personalities, what they're really saying is, 'We're going to try to scare people about Barack. So we're going to say that, you know, maybe he's got Muslim connections.'...Just making stuff up."

Back then, the campaign's "Fight the Smears" website addressed the candidate's faith without mentioning his father's religion:

"Barack Obama is a committed Christian. He was sworn into the Senate on his family Bible. He has regularly attended church with his wife and daughters for years. But shameful, shadowy attackers have been lying about Barack's religion, claiming he is a Muslim instead of a committed Christian. When people fabricate stories about someone's faith to denigrate them politically, that's an attack on people of all faiths. Make sure everyone you know is aware of this deception."

The website also provided quotes from the Boston Globe and Newsweek mentioning his father's roots.

Since the election, however, with the threat of the rumors at least somewhat abated, the White House has been increasingly forthcoming about the president's roots. Especially when reaching out to the
Muslim world.

In his April 6 address to the Turkish Parliament, President Obama referenced how many "Americans have Muslims in their families or have lived in a Muslim majority country. I know, because I am one of them."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/06/abc-news-jake-tapper-and-sunlen-miller-report-the-other-day-we-heard-a-comment-from-a-white-house-aide-that-neverwould-have.html
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

I've got the news on.. heard this being discussed... and
once again.. after reading it again..

"I am so at ease now."   ::)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Diane Amberg

I heard him say he has Muslims in his family too. But that doesn't make him feel or think Muslim. His wife isn't, he doesn't seem to be raising his kids that way. They aren't going to a Muslim school. My great grand mother was Mormon, but I'm not. Isn't it kind of an individual choice?

Catwoman

I'm not sure it is with the Islamic religion.  From what all my Muslim friends have told me, there's no year of freedom, like with the Amish, to decide if you're going to commit or not...If you're born of a Muslim father, you are automatically a Muslim, period.  If you choose to leave the Islamic religion, then you've committed some sin (I can't remember what they called it...I think it started with an A, maybe).

Diane Amberg

It's apostacy and you are right. I'd forgotten. I thought it would only be true in a predominately Muslim country. It is punishable by death. People do leave the Muslim faith though so maybe it has lost its grip. Thanks Cat. If you are born of a Jewish mother it's the same, but they sure don't kill you if you leave.

Catwoman

Actually, I've had enough talk of killing to last me four lifetimes here lately.  Diane, you have no idea how much I appreciate you.

Varmit

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 03, 2009, 03:29:55 PM
I heard him say he has Muslims in his family too. But that doesn't make him feel or think Muslim. His wife isn't, he doesn't seem to be raising his kids that way.

No, he just bows to the king of saudi arabia, seeks his counsel, wants better relations with the muslim world while basically shunning Isreal, attended a anti-sematic/american church for 20 years, spent 27 years of his life as a muslim. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

redcliffsw

Diane-
So do you think he's feeling and thinking Christian?

Varmit

I don't care really, if he is christian or not, that is not a requirment for the presidency.  what bothers me is how he denied being muslim, but then embraces that faith, with vigor.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Well, here I am back from Philly...you know there was actually a Muslim woman in the waiting room with us and nobody was afraid of her, imagine that.
   Red, I can't speak for what the President thinks or feels, only what shows. (I wouldn't have known that woman was Muslim had it not been for her clothes.) Does the President have a beard? No, but I can't see what he has in his pocket, probably not a gun, or a Bible or the Koran. His kids go to a Friends school. It's Quaker for heavens sakes. He doesn't seem to be abusing his wife....I think she would flatten him if he did. As far as his trip, I understand why some people wouldn't like what he is doing, but he is trying for some diplomacy. Any good speaker knows his audience. Its a try for statesmanship. Even Garrison Keeler does it when he takes Prairie Home Companion in the road. He always learns a bit about where he is going to be and mentions something local on the show, and of course everybody eats it up. It would be nice if all people who are not alike could still get along and respect each other. I don't know for sure of course, but maybe he hopes if we are seen in a better light, the peaceful Muslims will turn on those who are not, and try to take care of the Taliban internally. I'm not a Catholic, but I don't judge or look down on those who are. I've been to many Masses with friends and weddings and funerals. THEY don't even say the Lords Prayer the way I do...are they wrong? Of course not! It,s just a bit different. We've already talked about the many different versions of the Bible so I won't broach that in detail  again. But yes, there are books of the Bible that were known and not included in some of the old translations. They didn't suit the purposes of the church people of the time. There were 7 or 8 of them that I know of, and there are many, many more than that, all in the old Hebrew and Greek. Apparently some were pretty wild for the time, some 150 years later. I was interested in the rest of the Adam and Eve story that tells how humanity came to be if there were only sons.  It was left out so it wouldn't seem that incest was approved by the church. I think when more of the Dead Sea scrolls are able to be translated, we'll know some amazing things about the people of the early days. As far as I'm concerned, history and religion don't have to be mutually exclusive and wise people aren't just in church.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk