Details of Oklahoma Ten Commandments monument released

Started by frawin, May 19, 2009, 02:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Note: Oklahoma is the only state in the United States that every single county went for John Mccain in the recent election. Obama did not win in any county, on fact in the Panhandle some counties went 89% for McCain.

Details of Oklahoma Ten Commandments monument released

Last Modified: 5/19/2009  2:45 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY - The author of a measure to put a Ten Commandments monument at the state Capitol said the text from the King James version of the Bible will be used.

Rep. Mike Ritze, R-Broken Arrow, said Tuesday that version was selected because it is the same version on a similar monument at the Texas Capitol, which has withstood a legal challenge.

"It is the easiest to understand," he said.

Ritze said he will pay the estimated $10,000 for the monument, which will be three feet wide by six feet tall.

He expects to work with the Capitol Preservation Commission to select an appropriate location for the monument, possibly near the south steps of the Capitol.

He said he doesn't know when the monument will be placed on the Capitol grounds. Ritze said several lawmakers have asked him if other monuments could be placed on the Capitol grounds.

"I couldn't tell you," Ritze said. "I have been asked that over and over by other legislators. All we know is that this is something that our constituents as well as other legislators wanted."

Gov. Brad Henry on Monday signed House Bill 1330, allowing for the construction of the monument.

Ritze has said the monument will re-emphasize the history and heritage of the nation's legal system.

Sen. Randy Brogdon, R-Owasso, who also served as a sponsor, said he can't think of another Biblical monument that has the same historical significance.

If an effort were undertaken to place another monument at the Capitol, it would have to go through the same legislative process, Brogdon said.

The Legislature passed the measure despite concerns it could draw a costly legal challenge and could be interpreted as the state's endorsement of a religion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Varmit

I say let them put it up.  There is no admendment in the Constitution that calls for seperation of church and state.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Sarge

You are absolutely correct Billy, but still you hear people quoting "separation of church and state" all the time.
the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

Diane Amberg

That was from a letter from Thomas Jefferson that somehow got connected to the constitution. I have no problem with it being out up either, but some people will complain because they can.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk