Tonights Rose Moon.

Started by dnalexander, June 07, 2009, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Diane, I went there actually with a friend that I went to College with, he and his wife picked me up on a Saturday to spend the day touring the San Francisco area. They started out by taking down to the area where all of the Gays hung out, we got out of the car and started walking and they kept giggling and nudging each other, I had no idea where we were, then all of a sudden I saw two guys smooching it up, I know I must have looked like I had been struck by lightning, they died laughing. Out of respect for the gay people on the forum I won't repeat what I said. The next trip was across the bridge to Zack's in Sausalito for lunch, again my friend and his wife were nudging each other and giggling, we went into Zack's , my friends wife was doing everything to keep my attention, we got seated and the waitress came, when I looked up at her to order, SHE WAS TOTALLY BARE FROM THE WAIST UP AS WERE ALL OF THE WAITRESSES, again I won't repeat a what I said, but my friend and his wife were dying laughing. Only in California, what a trip for a country boy from Howard, Kansas.

dnalexander

The Sausalito nightclub that flourished in the 1970s was unmistakably Zack's. Housed in the current Paradise Bay restaurant building, Zack's thrived for years with a rowdy young crowd. Weekend nights brought block-long lines of cars trying to find parking. Live local bands, endless flowing drinks, and local young adult women were the driving forces, but by 1983 the city and the local police had had enough of the debauchery and the club scene came to a screeching stop.  During the same time a famous SF madam from the 1930's, Sally Stanford, had a famous restaurant in Sausalito called the Valhalla. It was know for its great food, charming hostess Sally, impeccable service and Victorian era brothel decor without the brothel girls. That type of excitement is long gone from Sausalito.

David

frawin

David, as I remember Zacks was on the water and a lot of people arrived by boat and tied up at the Pier and also dined on the Pier area outside. I remember the steep hills up behind it. It was a busy place.

dnalexander

Quote from: Catwoman on June 09, 2009, 08:47:37 AM
We drove it, instead.  There seemed to be an armada of people walking it, so thought we'd sit in the AC and wave as we went by! lol

Catwoman, if you needed the AC crossing the Golden Gate, I fear you were lost and somewhere in the East Bay. If not, you are talking about a day on the Golden Gate that I have heard of in ancient myths. Now more seriously, if any of you come to San Francisco to visit, I urge you to bring your heaviest coat no matter what time of year. Here in Belmont we can wear warm weather cloths. When I go to San Francisco I have to carry something for all seasons and dress in layers. :laugh:

David

dnalexander

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 09, 2009, 03:44:32 PM
David, you are so full of it! ;D  When we walked it, it was just beautiful and no fog that day. The first time was  Sept. 1977.  We did walk down into Sausalito for lunch. Took the water taxi back to the other side.  Do you remember Dance your A_ _ off?  About half way up Columbus?  And the Stage Deli near Union Square, with their 4 inch tall sandwiches?     

Diane if there was no fog I could of told you that you were there in August or September our Indian Summer. Seriously, since I moved to the SF Bay Area 34 years ago,  I have been on the Golden Gate hundreds of times and never would I have needed AC, heater yes. In October a couple of years ago I was in SF for Fleet Week watching the Blue Angels. My best friend from Canada wanted to go to Sausalito. The temp in SF at Ghirardelli Square was 90 degrees still a very rare day. As we crossed the Golden Gate it got colder and windy. By the time we got to Sausalito the fog was rolling in. Walking around Sausalito in my heaviest down jacket my hands were so cold they hurt. We stopped at a coffee shop and got a cup of hot coffee. I drank two sips, then removed the recycled paper sleeve insulator,  to keep you from burning your hands, and held that cup of coffee until we had had enough of the beautiful views in Sausalito. We then changed our plans for dinner in Sausalito and headed back home to Belmont.

David

p.s. I swear I always go to SF with a backpack full of clothes for all weather conditions.

dnalexander

Diane, where I live in Belmont the weather is truly spectacular most of the time. Between Kansas, Missouri, Michigan, and Alaska I think I have spent a good deal of time in nasty weather.  My brother and I used to wait  until 11:00 pm  to  do our cross country running training in Warrensburg, Mo;  in the summer when it cooled down to 90 degrees and 90% humidity. During my days in LA I used to have to go to Las Vegas for several days each month and felt 110 degree days with 0 humidity that sucked the water right out of your body. When I lived in Valdez, AK (the warm part of Alaska which is why the oil tankers are in Valdez) I experienced a few winter days when the temp was minus 20 and had 90 mph winds. (That day was the first time that Valdez schools were ever closed for bad weather, something about the grade school kids being blown away down the park strip or some nonsense.) Now if the weather isn't between 60 and 75 degrees with nothing more than a max wind speed of no more than 5 mph I am uncomfortable. I have become a real weather wimp and it pretty much will limit me to living in Belmont. :D

David

larryJ

Ah, flashback, David.  On a trip from LA to Idaho, we stopped for lunch at a road side stop just before Las Vegas.  My wife began making sandwiches for the kids and I.  By the time she had everything together, it was like eating toast!

My brother used to live in Needles, CA.  I was going on trip to Howard for a reunion and he insisted than I stop in Needles and take his Honda as it was a nicer car than mine.  He had already left town.  When we returned to Needles I went to a carwash to clean up his car as a way of thanking him.  I would get the car wet and wash it and rinse it, but couldn't dry it before it dried itself leaving big spots.  Washed it about three times before I was able to get it looking good.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk