Obama shows his class

Started by srkruzich, March 06, 2009, 06:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Quote from: Warph on March 07, 2009, 03:12:45 AM

It would be funny if the DVDs Mr Obama gave Mr Brown were Region 1 NTSC and therefore not compatible with the UK where DVDs are region 2 and video format is PAL.

I can see it now.....  I have a vision of the Browns, Gordon and Sarah, settling down at the PM's country retreat (Chequers) this weekend.  The children have been put to bed and Mr Brown heads in the direction of the DVD player:

GB: "The Obamas bought us some films on DVD. That was very thoughtful."

SB: "Not that thoughtful..."

GB: "What shall we watch?  ET? Star Wars?  Psycho, Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia?

SB: sighs... "Seen them all."

GB: "I'll try The Wizard of Oz, it's the version in which all the colours have been restored to the original quality.  We can stop and try something else if you don't like it.  Where's the remote control?" (GB fiddles with the DVD player for several minutes) "Right, I think it's going to start." (Nothing happens, machine displays a notice saying 'disc loading error').

SB: (examining DVD cover) "They're Region 1, they won't play in the UK."

The Browns sit in complete silence for several more minutes reflecting on what this means.

Also.... good thing that Gordon didn't stop by the White House Gift Shop.... the two Marine One choppers that Obama gave to Gordon's sons cost $15 bucks a piece. 

Looks like I nailed this!  Check this out:

"While not exactly a film buff, Gordon Brown was touched when Barack Obama gave him a set of 25 classic American movies – including Psycho, starring Anthony Perkins on his recent visit to Washington.
Alas, when the PM settled down to begin watching them the other night, he found there was a problem.
The films only worked in DVD players made in North America and the words 'wrong region' came up on his screen."

Rest of Story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/5011941/Gordon-Brown-is-frustrated-by-Psycho-in-No-10.html

The Movies:
Gone With The Wind, City Lights, Sunset Boulevard, Casablanca, The General, The Grapes of Wrath, Citizen Kane, Raging Bull, Singin' in the Rain, Lawrence of Arabia, Vertigo, The Wizard of Oz, The Searchers, Psycho, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Graduate, On the Waterfront, Chinatown, Some Like it Hot, The Godfather, Star Wars: Episode IV, It's a Wonderful Life, To Kill a Mockingbird, Schindler's List, ET
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

srkruzich

Sigh what a embaressment.  Not a ounce of thought went into this.  He just told a aide to get a gift.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

greatguns

Just shows you that you shouldn' have to gifts to begin with.

Warph

I never imagined I'd say it, but I'm beginning to identify with Barack Obama.  I'm certainly not referring to his politics or his narcissism, but it seems that both of us really suck when it comes to gift giving.

First, he gave Prime Minister Gordon Brown some DVDs that were incompatible with English electronics, and then he gave Queen Elizabeth an iPod that contained his speeches.  Well, I hate to admit it, but I can empathize.  Shopping for a prime minister has got to be hard enough, but trying to shop for a woman who has her own country would give me the mother of all migraines.  Frankly I'm surprised he didn't just fall back on that old reliable.  When in doubt, I say, you can't go wrong giving cash.  Which, by the way, seems to be one of the things, as opposed to bowling and speaking without a TelePrompter, at which the president seems to be quite adept.  And, best of all, the cash, unlike the iPod, would be a personal gift because the Queen's picture would be on it.

But I have to admit I'm beginning to really worry about the Community Organizer in Chief.  I mean, he ran for president as the man who was going to make the world love us like nobody's loved us, come rain or come shine.  Instead, he's turned into the master of the gag gift.  I can't help wondering what this practical joker is going to do next.  Send Prime Minister Netanyahu a honey-baked ham?  Send Mahmud Ahmadinejad a pair of elevator shoes?  Send Pope Benedict XVI a whoopee cushion?
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Catwoman

The moment I heard him state that we weren't a Christian nation, I quit listening.  The end of his four year term can't come too soon.

kshillbillys

Maybe we shouldn't even have Christmas either! There has been gift giving going on for YEARS between dignitaries when they meet!! Some people will just come up with any excuse to NOT do something when the Community Organizer in Chief really screws up and shows his lack of class...he makes me sick and so do the people covering for him!
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

Teresa

It's not just the total ignorance on the gift giving... it is so many things that just scream out the incompetence of this man.

Alan Keyes has a fascinating topic on his blog today.
((Loved the comments made from the readers at the end of his article.))

I have to say that it makes me think we've been hoodwinked or a genuine idiot occupies the White House. I also can't forget at his inauguration parade a General standing at side had to quietly instruct him when to salute the troops passing by...  ::)

http://loyaltoliberty.blogspot.com/2009/04/obamas-bow-protocol-nod-or-wink-of.html

...when Barack Obama met with the King of Saudi Arabi recently he proffered what might be interpreted as a deep and unmistakable bow. Whatever the eventual excuse given for this apparent obeisance, I doubt it will accompany the photo as it is reproduced in publications throughout the Islamic world.

They can make all the excuses they want to... Obama BOWED!  NO "ifs", no "ands", no "buts".  TOTALLY subservient!
Just goes to show, just because you make good in Chicago does not mean you are ready for the REAL world.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk