Great Elk County (Flinthills) Smoke-Out!

Started by Tobina+1, April 03, 2009, 04:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

Yes, that time of the year has come again!  Don't worry smokers, this post isn't for you... it's for those of us surrounded by clouds of prairie grass smoke day and night from now until middle of April!   ;D  Maybe that's what's to blame for my odd attitude today... smoke inhalation (stay away from Politics... I really don't believe what I say on there!)

Anyway, this time of the year I do enjoy.  I don't mind the smell of smoke, and the charred remains of the prairie hills only last for a few days before they turn a lovely, even, bright shade of green!  It's like tearing away the last, brown layer of winter, and letting green spring come through.  A lot of the cool season grasses have already been burned a few weeks ago, but it's the natural tallgrasses that really get the flames high!  Just wait for the next North wind (and a dry day), and look to the West of Howard/Moline (and North of Grenola)... a community buring effort will take place that will engulf over 10,000 acres!  Just the thought of it gets my hubby giddy like a kid.  I honestly get the fire-bug this time of year, too.  Stray branches, cutting down locust brush growing too close in the pasture, stray trash... give me some matches and I'll pow-wow my way around my own little fire!

And for those of you who travel during this time of year, use caution and watch out for fog-like smoke!  More than once there have been accidents due to smoke from grass fires.  Just pull over and wait it out.  Open your window and take a sniff... it's my 2nd favorite smell, right after the smell of a cool spring rain (which usually follows closely behind).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk