Started by dnalexander, October 08, 2008, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Quote from: sixdogsmom on October 09, 2008, 08:53:07 AM
Quote from: Teresa on October 09, 2008, 12:14:44 AM
I do too...but it gives me the winds.. 

What's a little winds among friends, if cabbage is the culprit?  ;D ;D

Well... depends on who is down wind of the windy person..  ;D ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

gmaof3

Unfortunately I don't have an actual recipe, I tend to cook like gma did where just add a dab of this and bit of that  LOL   I can give the general recipe tho, this is for big casserole, do adjust accordingly

1 large head of cabbage, chunked into about 1-2" chunks and blanched just to soften up a lil bit
about 1/2 box of Velveta (others just don't taste the same) chunked into about 1/2" chunks
flour
salt and pepper
butter
milk

after cabbage is blanched drain it good, then start layering in the casserole, starting with cabbage, then sprinkle each layer with salt and pepper and tablespoons of flour, add 3-4 pats of butter, then 1/3 of cheese, usually 3 layers, ending with cheese on top.  Add enough milk to about 1/2 way up the pan, cover and bake for 1 hour at 350.  I usually uncover for about the last 20 minutes cuz e1 likes the cheese a lil crispy on the top

really simple recipe, and have had people who claimed to HATE cabbage love it

gmaof3

sorry 2-3 tablespoons of flour to each layer, add to recipe above  LOL  brain short circuited there for a minute

Ole Granny

We do a Bierocks sandwich.  Brown ground beef and drain, add onion and garlic, salt and pepper to taste -cook, then cabbage cook , cheddar cheese melt.  Toss on some pita bread.  I usually add some raw cabbage and more cheese after it is in the Pita.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Mom70x7

Ours is more of a Bierocks casserole:

Put a package of crescent rolls on the bottom of 9x13 pan.
Brown onion, sausage, hamburger. Add cabbage and cheese and a can of mushroom soup.
Cover with another package of crescent rolls.

Bake 350 until rolls are browned.

We use 1 medium onion, two pounds of meat (whatever ratio you want), a medium cabbage (cut up) and about 2 cups of cheese (again, whatever flavors you want).

Jo McDonald

Mom70X7 , I am SO glad you posted this.  I have a friend that makes this and we were invited to their house for supper last winter and she served this casserole.  YUMMMMMMYYY!! when all the cabbages came out of the patch yesterday on here, it reminded me of Pat's recipe and I was going to call her today and get it, so I could post it.  Now you have it here for us and guess what we are going to have one of these days -- soon?
  Thanks again.
Jo

PS:
I came back in and modified this --- Pat said the recipe called for the crescent rolls on the bottom, but she thought that they were sort of "soggy"  so she put them only on the top.  It was" delish" as I posted before.

Jo
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

dnalexander

Thanks for all the great ideas.

David

Clubine Ranch

Cabbage Casserole

I take this to lots of gatherings and family events. We like this a lot!

1 head of cabbage cut into chunks and boiled for 10 minutes. (or whatever time to have it the level of crispness you like).
drain.
Place cabbage in a casserole dish.

1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 small jar Cheese Whiz
1/4 cup milk
mix and prour over boiled cabbage.

Crush Ritz Crackers and sprinkle over the top... not to many ...
bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
You can add ham if you want to make it a full meal or leave it as a side dish.

Teresa

It is Marks birthday tomorrow and we are having a big get together T-Bone steaks supper for him.. I think I will make gmaof3's recipe.. That is ..if Julie has cabbage on hand..  ;)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk