Baghdad at Sunrise COLONEL PETER MANSOOR

Started by dnalexander, October 22, 2008, 06:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

I hope some of you take the time to listen to the audio lecture below. I am a member of the Commonwealth Club of  California a membership lecture series. I saw this lecture in person and just heard it again last night on my local PBS radio station. A compelling insight into the war from a Colonel that was there.

Baghdad at Sunrise
COLONEL PETER MANSOOR
http://www.commonwealthclub.org/archive/08/08-09mansoor-audio.html

Commonwealth Club of California
http://www.commonwealthclub.org/about/

The Commonwealth Club of California is the nation's oldest and largest public affairs forum, bringing together its more than 18,000 members for over 400 annual events on topics ranging across politics, culture, society and the economy. If you search the archive I bet you will find a lecture you want to listen to no matter who you are and what you like.

dnalexander

This is a unique contribution to the burgeoning literature on the Iraq war, analyzing the day-to-day performance of a U.S. brigade in Baghdad during 2004-2005. Mansoor uses a broad spectrum of sources to address the military, political and cultural aspects of an operation undertaken with almost no relevant preparation, which tested officers and men to their limits and generated mistakes and misjudgments on a daily basis. The critique is balanced, perceptive and merciless—and Mansoor was the brigade commander. Military history is replete with command memoirs. Most are more or less self-exculpatory. Even the honest ones rarely achieve this level of analysis. The effect is like watching a surgeon perform an operation on himself. Mansoor has been simultaneously a soldier and a scholar, able to synergize directly his military and academic experiences. He presents an eloquent critique of the armed forces' post-Vietnam neglect of counterinsurgency and makes a strong case for integrating military forces with civilian experts who can aid reconstruction in counterinsurgency operations. Above all, Mansoor reasserts the enduring impact of fog and friction on war. There is never an easy solution, he says—or an easy exit. Maps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk