BRUNER, Nellie Elma (Clark) - b. August 26, 1907 - d. June 10, 2007

Started by kfclark, June 12, 2007, 12:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfclark

Nell Bruner of Fountain Valley, California, formerly of Elk County, Kansas, died June 10, 2007.  She was 99 years of age, just three months short of being 100.

Nell was born on August 26, 1907, at Westphalia, Coffee County, Kansas, to Fred and Nettie Alberta "Bertie" (Keller) Clark. The third of seven children, she grew up on a farm west of Moline, Kansas.  She attended Star Neighborhood Elementary School and Moline High School and was a member of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ.

Nell married Beryl Kenneth Bruner of Sedan, Kansas March 14, 1928 in Oxford, Kansas. They lived and worked in and around Elk County, including several years on the Bill Killpatrick farm east of Howard, Kansas. In the fall of 1939 they moved to Los Angeles, California.  Beryl was employed at Douglas Aircraft and later for Standard Oil.  Nell worked in the upholstering department for Douglas Aircraft in Santa Monica, California during World War II, later she worked for the Santa Monica School System as the Cafeteria Supervisor. They did not have any children, but were very close to their nieces and nephews.

Later they moved to Huntington Beach, California where they both loved to work in their garden growing flowers and vegetables. In retirement Beryl had a lawn care service for many years and together they enjoyed traveling around the country in their trailer with a camping club. They were married for more than 64 years.

Nell was a loyal member of the Community United Methodist Church in Huntington Beach, California.  Nell was active sewing and working in her church bazaar into her 90's.

Beryl passed away 28 June 1993 at the age of 84 and for the past several years Nell has been living in an assisted care home in Fountain Valley, California.

Nell is survived by two sisters-in-law; Maxine (Gibbons) Clark of Bella Vista, Arkansas and Mildred (Zollman) Clark of Grass Valley, California, one brother-in-law; Norman Steele of Topeka, Kansas, eight nieces and nephews; Charles Clark of Cedar Park, Texas, Jack and Voncille Stegelman of Catoosa, Oklahoma, Rita and Jim Rush of Scottsdale, Arizona, Cheryl Elaine McNulty of Redondo Beach, California, Robert Clark of Aspen, Colorado, Diana and John Dzioba of Auburn, California, Karen and Gary Shaw of Pacific Palisades, California, and Kimberly and Brad Agnew of Wichita, Kansas and numerous great and great-great nieces and nephews.

She was preceded in death by her husband, her parents, her brothers and sisters; Arch Clark, Faye Stegelman, Alice Steele, Dorothy Roy, Roy Clark and Albert Clark and by her nephew Rodney McGonagle.

A graveside memorial service will be held, Saturday, June 23rd at 11:00am at the Moline Cemetery. Zimmerman Funeral Home is making the arrangements.

Memorial services in California will be held, Sunday, June 24th at 2:00pm at Community United Methodist Church in Huntington Beach, California.

Those wishing to honor Nell's memory are encouraged to donate to the Foundation Fund of Community United Methodist Church that provides scholarships to disadvantaged students. Donations can be sent to:

Community United Methodist Church
Foundation Fund (note on memo line)
6652 Heil Ave.
Huntington Beach, CA 92647

Please contact Kevin Clark if there are corrections that need to be made to this posting.
Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

Janet Harrington

The picture is awesome.  Thanks for putting it in the obit.

kfclark

Memorial services in California will be held, Sunday, June 24th at 2:00 pm at Community United Methodist Church in Huntington Beach, California.

I also updated some of the biographical information, and will post more as I find out more. KFC

kfclark

A graveside memorial service will be held, Saturday, June 23rd, 2007 at 11:00am at the Moline Cemetery. Zimmerman Funeral Home is making the arrangements.

kfclark

Those wishing to honor Nell's memory are encouraged to donate to the Foundation Fund of Community United Methodist Church that provides scholarships to disadvantaged students. Donations can be sent to:

Community United Methodist Church
Foundation Fund (note on memo line)
6652 Heil Ave.
Huntington Beach, CA 92647

kfclark

Services at the Moline Cemetery were well attended by the following:
Maxine Clark of Bella Vista, Arkansas, Kim and Brad Agnew and their grandaughter Lilly from Wichita, Jack and Voncille Stegelman, their daughter Lisa and her twin boys Quinn and Quaid from Catoosa/Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, Rita and Jim Rush of Scottsdale, Arizona, George Bruner and daughter Cinda Darwin of Eldorado, Jim Bruner of Sedan, Virginia Brace Huntington, David Brace and Rod Bruner of Moline, and Charles and Kevin Clark of Cedar Park, Texas. Lloyd Zimmerman and Robin Haines of Zimmerman Funeral Home took care of the arrangements.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk