The High Cost of Drug Addiction

Started by frawin, July 27, 2008, 06:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I thought this was an interesting and shocking article. These numbers are for Oklahoma only, one of the less populated states. The National numbers are no doubt even more shocking, in comparison. This country is losing the battle against drugs and the crimes that come with it.
Frank 
Addictions cost $5.8 billion

By AP Wire Services
7/27/2008
Last Modified: 7/27/2008  3:18 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The cost of drug and alcohol addiction in Oklahoma may be as high as $5.8 billion a year in prevention and treatment costs and a variety of financial losses to society, according to a report.

A 2005 state task force report said addiction costs include $1.4 billion in direct costs for money spent trying to prevent addiction, treating addicts and locking up people who commit crimes because of addiction, The Oklahoman reported in its Sunday editions.

Another $4.4 billion is attributed to indirect costs including a variety of financial losses from premature deaths, imprisonment and school dropouts, the report said.

Drug and alcohol addiction contributes to 85 percent of all homicides, 80 percent of prison incarcerations, 75 percent of divorces, 65 percent of child abuse cases, 55 percent of domestic assaults, 50 percent of traffic fatalities, 35 percent of rapes and 33 percent of suicides, according to the state Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services Department.

The state mental health agency spent more than $59 million in state and federal funds battling substance abuse during the last fiscal year.

Officials say drug courts are among the successes that have come from their fight. Still, they say current funding is not enough.

"I'd like for that to double," said Caletta McPherson, deputy commissioner for substance abuse services at the mental health agency.
By AP Wire Services

srkruzich

That 5.8 billion is just a drop in the bucket on cost.  Its not including the 250 billion they spend in this "war on drugs".  The powers that be never intended to end drugs, its too much of a cash cow to them.  Too many billions of dollars are made off of government siezures of property to stop drugs.

Theres is only two ways to stop drug use.  First way is execute all drug users and dealers. But no one is going to go for that.  Second way is to legalize the drugs and take all profit out of the drug industry. RIght now drugs have a 1700% markup on them making them worth the risk associated to sell them. 

Plus theres the money made off of siezure of properties making the indirect markup go up astronomically.

Now their asking for more money?? For what!????  They already made it into a profitable business in the war.
you could take 1/3 of the money spent on this, legalize the drugs, rehab the users, eliminate the dealers by making unprofitable and then return the other 2/3'ds back to the taxpayor. 

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Jo McDonald

Why aren't all of you smart young men running for offices to make this country a better place to live?
I enjoy reading all of your posts, and believe me, you make more sense than what we have in office now.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

srkruzich

Quote from: Jo McDonald on July 28, 2008, 12:42:58 PM
Why aren't all of you smart young men running for offices to make this country a better place to live?
I enjoy reading all of your posts, and believe me, you make more sense than what we have in office now.
LOL i honestly have no desire to get down in the pigstye up there and get nasty

Jo McDonald

Rats !!  I was hoping all of you would raise your hands and say," I will, I will".  Not to be, though, huh?
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

srkruzich

Quote from: Jo McDonald on July 29, 2008, 07:53:47 PM
Rats !!  I was hoping all of you would raise your hands and say," I will, I will".  Not to be, though, huh?

Oh I suppose if we actually stood a chance at possibly getting there, we might look at it hard.  But unless you have 100 million sitting around doing nothing, you don't stand a chance at even getting to the convention much less to the white house. 

Besides even if i were to be president, folks wouldn't want me in there.  I'd eliminate a bunch of government first day there.  I would start with the National Endowment for the Arts, move on to the Dept of ED, and the Grand finale for the first day would be elimination of the IRS. 

Second day i would put ole clarke Howard whos out of atlanta in charge of cutting the budget, John lender in charge of implementing a flat tax or use tax instead of stealing out of hard working folks pockets.  Hmmm wonder how much i could get done through executive order.... :D  HEHE......

OHHHH and i would nail those idiots in charge of medicare, and make them accountable for the theft going on.  One of my major soapboxes on how these companies charge these outrageous prices, for products that we can buy ourselves for the 20% we have to pay.  I got my cpap supplies and i am having to cough up 150 bucks for what i can buy myself without medicare for 75 bucks.  BUt i am not allowed to pay 20% of the 75 and bill medicare for the other 50.00. Noooooooo i have to go through some company that charges 500 dollars and I personally have to pay as much for these supplies as if i paid outright for them. Basically i'm paying fo rthat companys supplys  and they get to rape the medicare program.

Ok soapbox off

sixdogsmom

Skru, we have found that the expense of a medi-gap policy is well worth it. I do agree though, the system is being raped royally every day, and if you say anything you might as well not exist. That system does need an overhaul, from big hospital down.
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk