New business ideas

Started by indygal, July 31, 2008, 06:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

What types of business or service could make a go of it here?

Here's a few to get started:

-- An office supply store that might also offer party supplies
-- Business and custom printing and engraving
-- A clothing and shoe store (new or gently used, with emphasis on "gently") for adults, children and infants
A Chinese restaurant (don't egg rolls and General Tso chicken sound good right now?)
-- An optometrist (closer than Eureka)
-- A dentist (closer than Sedan)
-- Garden supplies (could also carry a line of pet supplies)
-- A jewelry store (with clock and watch repairs)
-- Sporting goods store
-- Western wear and gifts (OK, someone else suggested this on another thread, but it's worth a second mention)
-- Furniture and appliance store
-- Bowling alley/arcade room/skating rink? (I bet Teresa would be there in a heartbeat!)
-- A day care center (there a few, and they're doing a fine job, but there aren't enough)

Now, before anyone says "But so-and-so already sells those things/does those things" .... it makes sense to me that a separate business specializing in those particular items/services would allow more room for the existing stores to expand in their own areas of expertise. For example, if Julie didn't have to carry office supplies (which I'm grateful she does!) she'd have more space to devote to grocery and pharmacy items.

Just brainstorming here, folks.

frawin

Indygal, Julie is and will survive because she has so many different items to fulfill peoples needs, I don't think there is anyway that all of the different "Specialty businesses" can survive. There would not be a high enough volume to make it in the office supply business, or to make it as a Chinese Restaurant, or to make it selling appliances only. The current sucessful businesses in Howard like Batsons and Cookson's make it because they have a wide variety of things to offer the people.
Frank

pepelect

If we put in Oriental food someone, probally one of the Wal-mart crowd, would just say they could get it cheaper at Dillons or it isn't as good as P.F.Changs.....I won't even serve coffee because some want single roast some want tea and some want it delivered.   

I would like to see a donut shop.  We have a police department that is about to wilt away because of lack of donuts.   I can't even remember the last time I saw a highway patrolman in town.  Besides there is a hefty markup on cholesterol lowering medications....

Em wants a candy store. 

Julz wants a bakery.  Marilyn McNee is a goddess with flour.  I bet there is plenty of talent in this generation, ie. grand champion pie at the fair  miss Juaire,  to give her a run for the money.   Put in a bakery and make some dough.....

I would like to see a computer repair and service center.  Cell phone batteries, in home service, new printer cartridges, cables for the newest gadgets, follow me internet service for world wide appeal, custom large screen tv room with all the toys for the Elk County Forum Lounge.

Sarah

Well, let's see, a pet supply store would be nice.  I make jewelry and do small repairs, but not like on watches.  skruzich is really good with computers and worked in the computer industry for years. 

There's probably a lot of very talented people in this county that could make money off small stores, but either lack the self confidence to do so, or lack the money to get started. 

A store out on the highway with local made stuff  would be neat.  Have booths or areas or whatever for people in the area where they can sell their goods or whatever.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk