Benson Museum

Started by KandyKane, April 27, 2008, 06:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KandyKane

I was told the Benson Museum would be open during the Memorial weekend, and I would like to urge everyone that plans on being in Howard that weekend, to stop in and take a tour.  You will be amazed on how much "stuff" you will be able to connect with.  8)

Here is just a sample of pictures we took recently.  The first one is a show bill telling of what movies were going to be on at the Plaza Theatre, but no date was given on the bill.  The cost to see the movies was sure cheap compared to today's rates!  The second picture is of Dr. DePew with the 1920 date given, and lastly is a picture of a War Ration Book.  There is so much more to see at the museum!!!!! 8)

W. Gray

Those movies on the handbill were released in the 1966-67 time frame.

The handbill says admission is 50 cents to $1.00. I remember paying 12 cents.

A large roll of unused tickets to the Plaza Theater in Howard, Kansas, was recently sold on Ebay.

The admission price shown on the tickets was $1.00, 97 cents for the movie and 3 cents amusement tax.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

KandyKane

The admission charge for some of the movies listed on the bill was 25 cents for children and 75 cents for adults.  I can remember when it was 15 cents for children and 35 cents for adults.  (Guess I'm telling my age :P)

W. Gray

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner had the $1.00 price which probably meant the time was 1967 and this was first run costing the manager more to rent.

The other lest costly movies were probably re-releases or were second run.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Dale Smith

If you look up in the upper right corner of the Plaza Theater bill... you will see the date 1968.

KandyKane

Thanks for finding a date................but with our magnifying glass that looks like 1964. :-\

W. Gray

Here are the release dates of all the movies on the flyer except Did You Hear the One About the Traveling Salesman with Phylliss Diller and Bob Denver. Could not find a date but it was supposedly a real stinker.

Nobody's Perfect (Nancy Kwan version) (1968)
Shakiest Gun in the West (1968)
Stay Away Joe (1968)
Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows (1968)
Wild Racers (1968)
Charlie the Lonesome Cougar (1967)
Fastest Guitar Alive (1967)
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)
Jack of Diamonds (1967)
The Boy and the Eagle (1949 or 1967)
The Last Challenge (1967)
Hawaii (1966)
Texas Across the River (1966)
Did You Hear the One About the Traveling Salesman

Dale Smith

I had to print it out, and blow it up on my photocopier to see the date.  It's 1968.  LOL

My bifocals aren't quite good enough to read it otherwise.  :-(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk