Kansas a Desert Moline Republican November 28, 1890

Started by Roma Jean Turner, February 16, 2008, 03:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

It seems not everyone was impressed with Kansas or our ancestors.

For the Republicans:  So says brigadier Gen. Polk of North Carolina.  About one year ago Gen. Polk said that in a great portion of Kansas the land is very unproductive, that it is settled largely by ex-union soldiers, that they are a shiftless class and hopelessly in debt, that they have placed a mortgage on the land which the gonvernment gave them, and that they are in a state of unrest and ready for rebellion.  Give me twenty-five thousand dollars and i will make a regular bull-run of their boasted eighty-two thousand republican majority, I will give the next Kansas legislature to the democrats, or what will be just as good, such as will follow their lead, I will defeat Ingalls for the senate and will secure five out of the seven representatives to congress.  Polk has redeemed his pledge, now pay him his money.  The rebel brigadiers are again in the saddle, and union soldiers held the stirrup for them to mount.  BONIFACE

Jody

I bet he was a southerner and a democrat. What were the Moline Papers leanings?  Most papers were either Rep. or Democratic  in those days.

S

Roma Jean Turner

This article had been sent to the Moline Republican newspaper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk