FLIES

Started by Wilma, October 14, 2007, 12:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane

The best one to catch and tie a string around their necks are the Locust, with all the noise they make it is great fun. Blow flies work also.
Army Mom

Diane Amberg

Big iridescent beetles make great "airplanes" too.

Jo McDonald

This is really terrible, but here goes, anyway~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

We used to catch horseflys and stick a straw up their butt and let them go and they would just go completely goofy -- trying to get away from the straw. 

We didn't have too many toys in those days    hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

W. Gray

This is what is terrible.

I visited an older cousin on a farm near Moran, Kansas, in the early fifties.

He carried a .22 rifle and we went for walk in the pasture prior to getting the cows. We came upon a pond and he caught a small frog. He stuck a hollow straw in the same place on the frog and then blew into the straw as hard as he could. The frog's insides were probably instantly burst and the frog became a small balloon. If that was not enough, he threw the frog out on the water and fired several shots at it with the .22, eventually hitting it.

I was stunned to say the least. After I declined to participate, we went on after the cows.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Dee Gee

Jo, We used to catch horse flies also but used a feather instead of a straw, so when they flew the feather made them do a lot of fancy flying.  Oh what fun we had growing up.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Jo McDonald

That would get us expelled from school in this day and age, that is, if---we tried to demonstrate it to another student while on the premises. 

And yes--- my memories of growing up are happy ones.  But come to think of it, Maybe I never did grow UP -- just grew older.  :o
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk