Kansas High Spots

Started by W. Gray, August 05, 2007, 09:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

The word from the Kansas Geological Survey is that Osage Cuestas is the highest named point in Elk County. There may be higher points but they have not been named. The KGS works from information provided by the US Geological Survey. Someone must have run out of names when it came to something higher.

Dan pointed out elevations of up to 1635 feet in Union Center Township and it is right in the corner at the county boundaries with Butler and Greenwood. I do not think there is anything higher. That is 224 feet higher than Osage Cuestas.

I checked river elevations and noted Elk River is at 1485 feet, even higher than Osage Cuestas, at the western Elk County boundary and at 850 feet at the eastern boundary.

Big Caney River is at 1270 feet at its source in western Elk County and at 1030 feet when it enters Chautauqua County.

Fall River is at around 875 feet coming and going in northeast Elk County.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Did you guys ever see the movie, The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill, But Came Down A Mountain? You guys sound just like them.

jensarlou

I haven't been on in a while and I saw this topic.  I always loved the hills out there, especially out by my old house.  Looking towards town was such a pretty view.  Who knew that when I moved back to Florida that it was so flat.  Thank goodness there a a few hills in the county where I live.  Unfortunately there isn't that good of a view though.

Rudy Taylor

You all know that I dearly love the Flint Hills and the country scenes that are so picturesque.  But I like living in town these days, simply because I like to see people moving about.  I was raised on a farm and wouldn't trade those growing-up years for anything, but Kathy and live a half block off Highway 75 and we love sitting in our shady backyard and watching the traffic go by.  Since there's a row of houses between us and the highway, few motorists ever notice us. So, I guess the "view" is relative, isn't it? Nice to see your post, Jensarlou.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Mom70x7

I think some people will find contentment no matter where they live.
There are advantages to all sorts of places.

I grew up in a town the size of Howard - was VERY eager to move out.
When I graduated - I moved to Chicago. I loved it!  :D

For awhile Jim and I lived north of the Elk City State Park Dam, in the Sycamore area.
Our nearest neighbors were almost a mile away.
Outside of the trees on our property, the nearest trees were a mile away.
We could really see storms moving in. It was beautifully quiet at night. I loved it!  :D

Now we live in Howard, just a couple of blocks from downtown.
We're on Washington, so there's a lot of traffic (for Howard).
We're surrounded by trees, and we plant more. I love it!  :D

It could be different stages in life, or it could just be finding the good in where we live.

W. Gray

Diane,

Had not seen it nor heard of it, but in trying to find out about the The Englishman Who Went up a Hill, But Came Down a Mountain, I stumbled upon the information on one web site that 1,000 feet constitutes a mountain.

Now the forum will will know that Elk County, Kansas, is full of mountains but Mount Osage Cuestas is the only one named. Who would have thunk it.

Previously, I had come across information that several Ozark Mountains were smaller in height than Osage Cuestas. In view of a mountain height, that information makes more sense.

And to think Mount Everest is only 20.57 times as tall as Elk County's highest named mountain. ;D
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

kdfrawg

Your situation is much like mine. About a block behind us is the K-10 extension, although like you there are trees that partially block the view. We don't hear them much. But it's somehow comforting to sit on the deck and watch the folks go by. It is even better that all there is beyond that is green, just green.

:)

Rudy Taylor

I think it was St. Paul wrote that he tried to be content "in whatsoever state I am in."

But Paul never made visited Texas, at least, to my knowledge.  Now that would
test a man's faith.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

kdfrawg

I lived in Austin (called it Awestin) for a bit over a year once. What that tested was my sanity. Once the Texans and I discovered there was no sanity to test, we all got along fine.

;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk