High water

Started by okiemon, June 29, 2007, 08:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

Jo -

The Wichita Eagle today talked about your park:.

Here's the story: http://www.kansas.com/sports/story/122535.html

One of the quotes from the article -
QuoteAt the peak of flood waters, only about 30 of Elk City State Park's 860 acres were above water.

We used to live just north of the dam and would frequently drive through the park, so I know the area well. That's a lot of water!

Dee Gee

Yes, it was a lot of water, in the 20 plus years I have lived here it was at least three feet higher than in was in October of 1986.  It was something to see the water running over the uncontrolled spillway by over 4 feet.  The article was interesting but included a pitch for additional funding to me.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Jo McDonald

That was a good article -- and Yes it did mention that there is needed funding -- and when you see all the work that is still to be done, the budget probably will be Very Shy of what is actually needed.
Seems strange that the officials can afford to fly over in the helicopter - but they 
can't afford any extra funds for the needed reconstruction that will have to be done to bring it back up to spec.
Seems to me they could maybe find some alternate means of determining the needs of the flood victims.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk