Our family is thinking of buying a house in Howard

Started by jessieOfOZ, September 21, 2005, 11:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessieOfOZ

Hello,
We live in Vancouver, Washington and were thinking of buying a home in Howard.  I grew up in St. Mark's, KS.

I'm having trouble finding any information on the web (very little in fact) about Howard.

I have a few questions and would be grateful to anyone who could answer or email me at JessieOFOZ@aol.com

Where is the nearest hospital or medical facility?  How far do you have to travel for groceries?  I'm guessing there's no Home Depot or Lowes?  Where does one go to purchase home repair, sheet rock, lumber etc.

Also, does anyone know if there are many contractors in the area that do remodel?

Any help is much appreciated. 

Thanks,
Jessica

Mom70x7

Hello, Jessica -

Just ask your questions and someone will answer.

For instance, medical: Howard just completed a very nice medical clinic here in town. Quite a few people go there. A lot of people also doctor out of town.

We have an excellent pharmacy, Batson's, run by Julie Perkins. Actual hospitals are in Independence, Sedan, Winfield, Eureka, Fredonia, El Dorado and Wichita. You have your choice, depending upon your preferences and what your doctor thinks you need.

Groceries: You can buy most of your groceries here in town. Batson's is expanding and will add a grocery store within a couple of months. Heartland Shares is also active in town, bringing in fresh fruits, veggies and frozen meat once a month. People also grocery shop when they are in the towns mentioned above.

You're right, we don't have a Lowe's or a Home Depot. I know a lot of lumber supplies come from Independence. Maybe someone else can tell you where building materials come from.

We have a GREAT hardware store, Cookson's - which has so much, it's also almost an old-fashioned general store. (Right about now, some of you guys should jump in  ;)!)

There are also some antique-type stores, used clothing, furniture, recyling and gift shops. Not really a whole bunch, but enough to keep most people busy.

We have a library, open 3 days a week; a swimming pool, open in the summer; a tavern, which should be open more regularly now :laugh:; and the usual contigent of automotive type shops.

Oh - and a pretty active County-Wide Ministerial Alliance. Good churches, good pastors.

I've lived here for 15 years - I think it's a great place to live.

Why are you thinking of moving here?

It's a good town in which to raise kids, everyone helps you watch out for them; it's also a good community in which to retire.

Okay, guys - I've started, now add some more information for her.  :)

Sammy

I no longer live in howard, but I wouldn't trade the community for the world.  I lived the best part of my life there, and had the most memorial moments there.  There isn't a grocery store for minutes, or home depot.... but, there is a a hardware store there.. that will try and meet any need that u might have.   I hope that, if you decide to move there... all the best of luck!!!
I get home sick alot.. hopefully you will love that little town as much as all of us do... whether here or far.....   ;D
Be nice to people on your way up because you'll need them on your way down.

jessieOfOZ

Hi guys,
Thank you so much for replying back.  I thoroughly enjoy looking up real estate online.  From time to time I will look up homes in Kansas, as I grew up in St. Marks. It's a very small community West of Wichita.  I've been out here in Oregon/Washington for nearly 14 years.  It has been my hope to return to Kansas to live in a small town once again.  My husband & I recently adopted 5 year old twin boys. We want more than anything to get them out of the Portland metropolitan area, where there is much crime and gang activity.  My husband is in law enforcement and I am an RN in the county jail: thus, how we met.   :D 

I fell in love with the outside of the house on Chestnut, or it's potential.  We are hoping to be able to buy this house, fix it up and use it as our family's 2nd home, until my husband can retire in 3 or 4 years.  We make several trips a year to KS, already, visiting family and friends.  It would be nice to have our own place to stay.  Most of my family lives in Wichita, Cheney, Peck, and Newton.

Thank you all for your help.  I will surely keep you posted.

Janet Harrington

About Howard.  Wonderful community.  Doesn't have much for law enforcement now.  (And yes I can say that).  Has a full-time EMS agency that has one or two paramedics and maybe two EMTS.  Anyway, they do a good job.  Closest hospital is 28 miles away.  Hospital in Eureka would be my perference and they are quick to send you on to Wichita if necessary.  Independence has a super WAl-Mart as does El Dorado and Wichita.  Winfield has a smaller Wal-Mart but are going to build a super Wal-Mart.  As for building supplies, you have to go to Independence or Wichita for that.  Remodeling contractors???  We have some carpenters that keep so busy that sometimes it is hard to get on the list.  If it is something that you want done asap, then you will have to get someone from out of town or get on a list.  These contractors do a good job, though.  We have a couple of plumbers that also do air conditioning, hot water heaters, etc.

We have some great mechanics.  Back to public safety.  Our fire department is a volunteer fire department, but they do a great job.  Two gas stations only, no 24 hour stores are open.  What that means if you have a craving for ice cream and dill pickles and you don't have any at home, you shoud have friends or be prepared to drive over 30 miles to get them.

We do not have door to door mail service, but if you live outside a certain part of an area, the post office will let you put up a rural mail box, so it would depend on where this house was.  Otherwise, you either get a free box at the post office, (if you live within a quarter of a mile of the post office), or you pay annually to rent a box at the post office.
We have a grade school in Severy and a grade school in Moline, but a junior high and senior high combined school at Howard.  The grade school kids that live in Howard are bused to either Severy or Howard.

Would I live anywhere else?  Probably not.  Lived in Severy or Howard all my life, so will probably finish my life here, also.

Good luck with trying to purchase the house you want.  I am sure that I have it figured out which one it is and it will take alot of work.

Mom70x7

Jessie:

Whenever you decide to come out this way - let us know here at the forum. Maybe one of us can meet you (we all have crazy schedules) and show off some of Howard's finer points.  ;)

jessieOfOZ

I will absolutely do that!  We are waiting to hear back from the realtor about property condition.  Trust me, I'm ready to get an airline ticket today  ;D  Howard looks like a really fun community.

Thanks again,
Jessie

Teresa

Howard is a wonderful community.
Like with any town, you have your ups and downs and since Howard only has 800 people.. be prepared to have most of those 800 know what you do ..when you do it..and with whom you do it.. ;)

I have lived here for most of my 52 years and I wouldn't live anywhere else if someone paid me.

Our taxes are on the high side.. and we are considered one of the poorest counties in the state.. ( go figure why we have the highest taxes ::) )

If you decide to move here, you will not be sorry.You can take walks at night and if you leave your house unlocked  or the keys in your truck.. not to worry.. All will be the same and undisturbed when you get back.. and if you worry.. call someone.. they will go down and lock up or shut your windows or so what you need done.

It is gentle and quiet ..even in town generally and on the summer nights you can hear all the night sounds  of crickets and frogs and locusts and watch all the lightening bugs doing their summer dances.

I love Howard.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk