Run Over By Auto

Started by genealogynut, February 28, 2007, 02:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
October 20, 1927

What might have been a tragedy was narrowly averted last evening just after dark, when Mrs. Chas. Vice was run down by Geo. Burl's Ford, in front of the Allen's Drug Store.  Mrs. Vice was attempting to cross the street coming from the east side, and stepped out in front of the way of a car going north, and got in front of Mr. Buel's car which was coming south.  Mr. Buel's  saw her just as she got in front of his car and quickly applied the brakes, but could not bring it to a stop till Mrs. Vice had been knocked down and the car had passed entirely over her.  Fortunately the wheels did not run over her body or any of her limbs, but she was quite painfully bruised on the hip and one leg.  Also she suffered a bruise on her head, but no bones were broken.  She was at once given proper attention and her bruises treated, and it is not believed her injuries are serious.  No blame can be laid to Mr. Buel, as Mrs. Vice stepped squarely in front of his car before he saw her.

Teresa

I wonder what would happen if that happened today...
whewwwwyyyyy... the lawyers would be all ready to jump on the bandwagon , wouldn't they? :-\
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

genealogynut

Yeah, it's the greed........and it's clogging our court system.  But that story reminded me of the time Mildred Doggett almost hurt Harvey VanBuskirk.  I don't remember if she had actually knocked him down, but he had carried groceries out for someone, then when he went back into West's grocery, he was kind of limping, and some remark was made, that she didn't even know she had struck him, as she drove off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk