Memorial Day

Started by Teresa, May 28, 2005, 11:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

We all celebrate memorial day with parties and picnic's and camping and boating at the lakes. We have family reunions and laugh and stretch all this fun to the 3 day holiday that is the official start of summer to most of us.

But lets not forget  the real reason we celebrate Memorial day...

While there is some question about the origins of Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, there is no doubt one of the first was celebrated in the South. In January 1866, women in Columbus, Georgia issued a public call for the graves of Confederate soldiers to be covered with flowers. The first Confederate Decoration Days were observed that year in April in Columbus, Mississippi; Columbus, Georgia; and Holly Springs, Mississippi. In 1868, commander-in-chief of the GAR, General John A. Logan, ordered the 30th of May be set aside as a Memorial Day for the purpose of honoring the dead of the Civil War.  General James Garfield was the speaker at the first observance at Arlington National Cemetery on May 30, 1868.

Over time, the day became one of remembrance for all who had given their life in battle for America.

God Bless America and all who fought to keep it the America that we love .

http://home.ptd.net/~nikki/memorial.htm

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Lorie

A story to share.   

A 6th grader, was asked along with her class, to write an essay, about, What Being An American Means.   I would like to share that with you, and please keep in mind, her young age, when she wrote this.

What would you like to drink ? A waitress might ask you.   What religion are you ? Someone could ask you. Because we are Americans, we are free to choose.  A long time ago , we had to fight the English to become our own country, so we could govern ourselves.  A lot of people died.   But,  finally we became a country ---America.
     We are lucky to live in America, because we are free.  Not to just govern ourselves, but free to make other choices too.  Being free, we can do anything , as long as its legal, be anything, or say what we think, out loud or in the newspaper.
     We can vote for our kind of government people : we can worship God the way we choose.
     Being free means we are no person's slave or less than another.
     We are free to choose our schools, our jobs, who we marry, and how many children we have.
     Being American, being free, being able to choose, is great.  I would not want to live another way.
     I am sad, and I am sorry people had to die for America to be free, but I am glad and proud to live here.  Being born free, is something we forget about sometimes.  We forget how lucky we are to be Americans, and to have choices.
     Not alot of countries are as lucky as we are.
     So, the next time a waitress asks me what would you like to drink ? Or how can we help you ? 
I'll remember how good it feels to get to choose, and how lucky I am to be an American.

God Bless America !!!

Teresa

Amen sister dear... AMEN!
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk