GOFF-GILLESPIE, Cherie Jane (Kinder) - b. September 27, 1958 - d. July 17, 2010

Started by patyrn, July 19, 2010, 10:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Cheri Jane (Kinder) Goff-Gillespie of Grenola, Kansas, age 51, died Saturday, July 17, 2010 at her home.  Cheri was born on September 27, 1958 in Joplin, Missouri, the daughter of Eldon Lee and Patricia Joan (Spencer) Kinder.

Cheri attended school in Baxter Springs, Kansas and graduated from Baxter Springs High School in 1976.  Cheri loved spending time out at her Granddad POP Kinder's farm.  On February, 2, 1979, Cheri married Stephen Goff.  They traveled the world together while Steve worked on water towers.  Thy moved to the Moline, Kansas area and made their home there in 1986.  Steve and Sheri were married for 25 years until his death in 2005. 

Cheri then moved to Grenola, Kansas.  In May of 2007, she married Sheldon Gillespie, who survives at their home.  Cheri was a member of the Grenola Christian Church.  Cheri and Sheldon enjoyed going fishing and spending time together with their family and grandchildren.  She also enjoyed doing crafts, gardening, and was known for her cooking and making homemade rolls.

Cheri worked as a caregiver most of her life.  She worked as a paraprofessional in schools, worked as an activity director and also as a CHA at the Twilight Manor in Howard, Kansas.  Most of all, she cared for her family and friends.

Survivors, including her husband Sheldon, are two sons, Casey Goff and his wife Delia of Coffeyville, Kansas and Jason Goff and his wife Jennifer of Houston, Missouri; one daughter, Stephanie Goff-Woods and her husband Mike of Grenola, Kansas; her mother, Patrica Roberts and her husband Harold of Baxter Springs, Kansas; her sister, Karen Kinder of Eureka, Kansas; seven grandchildren, Anthony, Seth, and Tyler Goff, Laura, Lydia, and Elizabeth Woods, and Stephen Goff; and her great-uncle, Cleo Beu of Winfield, Kansas.

Cheri was preceded in death by her father, Eldon Kinder; her first husband, Steve Goff; and her daughter, Sarah Goff.

Funeral services will be held Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. at the Grenola Christian Church in Grenola, Kansas. Interment will follow at the Greenlawn Cemetery in Grenola.   Visitation will be held Wednesday, July 21, 2010 from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. at Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas.  The family suggests memorials  to Harry Hynes Hospice and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Services have been entrusted to Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Catwoman

:'(  It is with extreme sadness that I learn of the passing of one whom I so respected.  Pop and Leona Kinder were dear, dear friends of mine.  It was through them that I came to know and love Cherie.  She became to be a good friend of mine and considered her to be a truly wonderful woman.   

Diane Amberg

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

frawin

Cat woman, I like that Name, do you know if she was related to Jim and Bob Kinder from Moline. The Kinders lived up the street from My Sister, and Jim and Bob were big Brothers to all of the young people in the Neighborhood. There was another brother. I think his name may have been Bill.

Wilma

The obit refers to Cleo Beu as her uncle and there is a reference to Grandad Pop's farm.  I think that Pop was Elmer Kinder, but I can't remember his wife's name.  I do remember that she was a teacher at the Moline Grade School in the early 70's.  Does that help?

frawin

Thanks Wima, I remember that Cleo Beu had the Grocery Store in Moline, also my Brother-in-Law and Sister Rented the House and Lived on the Beu place for several years. Mick Gillespie was a good friend, and his Sister was really a pretty Girl, there were several Children in that Family but I don't remember all of their names.

Catwoman

Pop's real name was Elmer, I think...His wife was Leona.  They were quite a pair! lol  I didn't know that Cherie and Steve both had passed on.  One of the disadvantages of having left so long ago.

Delbert

Cleo had a furniture store.  He worked for years before at the Moline  mercantile.  His wife was Lois.  Her dad was Lloyd Stiles from Grenola.   Leona was her sister.   Pop and Leona lived for years east of Grenola.   They moved to Moline.   I think they built their house using the lumber from the old hotel in Moline.  Pop was a fun guy to be around.

frawin

Myrna and I both remember when Cleo worked at the Merc, also we bought some Furniture from him, when we were first Married. They were bought really nice people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk